• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has anyone ever lost the voices or are they here to stay?

J

Jambon78

Hello ,

I have been hearing voices for 10 years now. I have suffered with addiction to drugs in my past and been on every medication going.

My question is, do the voices ever go?

Jambon

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I stopped hearing voices a few weeks after starting on Risperidone, however when that drug stopped working after eight years or so I hallucinated people talking about me in the street and on the bus. I also believe I saw people who weren't there. I'm stable now on Flupenthixol and don't herar any voices though I did hallucinate someone talking on a radio in the hallway outside my door the other day.

Kerome

Kerome

There are some interesting questions here around how people's conditions progress. As I've had it explained to me the brain adapts to medicines - for example, if you take a medicine that is a dopamine antagonist, so reducing your dopamine levels, then the brain will make more dopamine producing cells. That means in the long run you will need more medicine, and eventually the medicine may stop working entirely. But at that point your brain is adapted to a high dose of the medication, it is no longer in the original state.

So in effect the use of the medication has caused some of your brains functions to distort. At the same time, your underlying condition may also have progressed. With some schizophrenics for example the condition gets gradually more severe. This may happen in the brain, or perhaps elsewhere in your being, we don't truly know. These two effects on your baseline condition together mean that, if you were to disregard the effect of meds, you become progressively more unwell over time.

The result might be that severity of symptoms in a crisis increases with time. Studies have shown that people off meds or who only take meds for a short time adjust better over the long term, suffering fewer and less severe crises.

Whether the voices ever go, I think that's a complicated question. Some people have had success with using psychological approaches and meditation to influence their voices, reach a better relationship with them, and had them eventually become much reduced in frequency. Maybe pm Deliah and ask her about her experiences.

S

Se7en

I did drugs, too & the voices began. I went 6 months until I sought help. Was put on Risperdal but also other medications to help me cope with the crazy side effects from the Risp. (Crazy is an understatement) :hidesbehindsofa:

I wasn't even on Risp. for a full year when I asked my psychiatrist if I could get off it. (Granted, I'd also been tested by a psychologist who confirmed I was not schizophrenic.) My doc weaned me off (which took about as long as the time I was on it) & MUCH to my relief, the voices were/are GONE. I'm so thankful to God, because I believe He let me know when to get off the Risperdal & He healed me! :cheer:

My suggestion to anyone considering taking Risp.? Get your dr. to prescribe you anti anxiety meds (I took Propranolol, 20 mg, 3 x a day) & much to my surprise, she prescribed me Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) 2 50 mg tablets per day. Also, Amitriptyline 50 mg, 2x a day. I took 2mg of Risperdal in the am & 1 mg of Risp. in the pm. Makes a HUGE difference, taking the others along with the Risp.!

Now, I only take Venlafaxine (antidepressant), Propranolol (beta blocker & anti anxiety), Amitriptyline (helps me sleep).

I will say that it took a certain dosage before the voices went away so if you're considering taking something, don't get frustrated if the first dosage doesn't give you the desired results. It took 3 increases on my dosage before the voices completely went away, with the Risperdal.

You thinking about trying out meds again? Please keep us posted! :hug1:

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I said F**K to taking more than one psyche drug at a time when some of the ones I was on did my kidneys and heart harm,that was Olanzapine,did the damage,others had bad side effects on me too,like flupenthixol caused me severe akathisia which they put down to severe mental illness at the time but later admitted it was the flupenthixol,it made me very much worse than I was.I still to this day don't know if I will hear voices again if i stop the drug I am on, Amisulpride 200mg one a day,it seems to stop me picking up people's thoughts and hearing the voices of people that bullied me at university.Maybe if I stopped the drug I wouldn't hear them anymore maybe unconsciously the need for those voices isn't there anymore.Anyway I am scared to stop it and it does stop voices and hallucinations for me as far as I know,I called it telepathy and mind reading rather than voices but this drug takes away the sensitivity that causes that.Nikitax

keepsafe

keepsafe

Not for me unfortunately so I quit the godforsaken abilify, I have three voices two derogatary men and a little child that screams in pain, that is the hardest one to cope with.

queenpink

queenpink

]Mine have quietened down and im on 4mg of risperdal i was on 6mg but i gained a load of weight on it so they reduced it and the voices got louder.I never took drugs.I dont know why i get voices,paranoia and hallucinate sometimes delusions as well.I
just want a med that works properly

GingerBeard

GingerBeard

Lately i've been asking myself this question. I hope one day the voices will leave me forever.
I've been on Risperidone for around 2 years now and i only tend to hear voices when im really angry or in fear for my safety which can happen alot because of the area i live in.

queenpink

queenpink

Im hearing the voices a lot really loud this past week.Im being driven demented by them.

lavenderfire

lavenderfire

I stopped hearing voices a few weeks after starting on Risperidone, however when that drug stopped working after eight years or so I hallucinated people talking about me in the street and on the bus. I also believe I saw people who weren't there. I'm stable now on Flupenthixol and don't herar any voices though I did hallucinate someone talking on a radio in the hallway outside my door the other day.
How can you tell that you hallucinated people? Also, how extensive were your hallucinations that people were talking about you? All around, every day? What did they say?

W

wellness

Hello ,

I have been hearing voices for 10 years now. I have suffered with addiction to drugs in my past and been on every medication going.

My question is, do the voices ever go?

Jambon
I have had them ceaselessly for 30 years now since my first episode of Psychosis they don't go away ... the drugs only help manage them well but there is NO cure to make them go away altogether !!!

lavenderfire

lavenderfire

I have heard tales from online and psychiatrists that for some people the voices cease.