Has anyone ever had this before

M

MKBSABC123

Hi everyone,

I have been suffering with health anxiety for the last 10 months.

I am 34 years old, i was fit (i boxed since i was a kid), train 5 days a week, don't drink, smoke or take drugs. I have never experienced anything like this before and was just wondering if anyone has ever had anything similar.

It started last year one evening i was driving along in my car with my 2 children in the back and all of a sudden i couldn't see, everything was spinning, i pulled over and in a few minutes it passed. I drove home and put it down to not eating all day and it was a drop in my sugar levels.

Fast forward 2 weeks and the same thing happened, although this time it never got better. I started suffering from really bad de-personalisation, i felt so strange like i wasn't really here, i was in the room but i couldn't tell you what was going on. I was completely lost and scared. I took myself to the hospital on 2 separate occasions only to be told it was nothing. I honestly thought i was going to die and had something seriously wrong with me, it got that bad i broke down in tears to my wife (i couldn't tell you the last time i cried before that). We decided that i need to see someone so went back to my doctor who sent me for tests. In the meantime i had every symptom under the sun which led to me paying for a brain scan and ecg etc out my own pocket, all came back clear but still i was feeling like this. Everywhere i went, i was dizzy, couldn't judge distances, my eyes would go blurry, i was completely out the game. This happened everywhere even at my own house.

I started to research endlessly and was starting to put it down to anxiety, but how could anxiety have this much of an effect on me? surely not.
I started to see a hyponotherapist, that done nothing for me. I seen a CBT therapist who really helped at first but after a few sessions was basically telling me to do what i already was doing myself. I attended group therapy sessions, you name it i done it. It was ruining my life, i became obsessed with how i was feeling. I would wake up feel ok for 2 mins then i would think about it and boom i was back to square one.

I have been to my doctor more times than i want to admit, he prescribed me Citalopram but i have never taken them as i have an addictive personality and i worry i would be dependent on them. Plus i have read so many horror stories. ]]I decided i would have to face this on my own.

Over the past 10 months it has got a lot better but i still struggle most days (although there are periods where i am fine for a few days like if i go on holiday, but it is always in the background). I tend to get the blurred vision, off balance and burning in my legs whenever i go in certain places. The best way to describe the feeling is like a hypoglycemic episode. One good thing is i have learnt to manage my anxiety and its 1000000% better than it was 10 months ago but i still feel far from "normal" I am hoping that my mind just takes time to settle down and i will eventually feel normal again as for 8 months i was trapped in a severe anxious state.

For all the research i have done (and believe me that is a hell of a lot) i can't agree with why they say i have been getting dizzy etc. I don't believe its because of a change in my breathing when the fight or flight kicks in, it feels more like something in my head as i also get headaches to accompany it.

Sorry to go on so much but i was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something similar, as i can't find anything on any forum with the exact symptoms. Also has anyone been able to come off SSRI's and not have to go back on them. Can anyone offer me advice to help.

Thanks

S

Sara_1978

I have health anxiety and one of the hardest symptoms to cope with is the dizziness.
It’s come on many times so out of the blue when iv been feeling perfectly ok and non anxious....it’s been so bad at some points iv been unable to walk without help.
I also thought it felt more like there was something wrong with me head as I also get headaches and can often feel an odd feeling in my head like a pressure as if something is pushing down on my head.
This has all happened whilst iv been on medication (flueoxerine) so dread to think how bad it would of been without any medication.
Do you not think is worth a try with the medication and see if it makes things any better?

S

Sara_1978

Sorry should of added. I took fluoxetine for about 2 years approx 6 years ago. I weened myself off them as I felt ok and that I could manage without them.
Late end of last year I could start to feel myself starting to feel like I had before I started taking medication so spoke to my Gp and was prescribed them again.
I didn’t have a problem coming off them is that’s what you were asking?

M

MKBSABC123

I have health anxiety and one of the hardest symptoms to cope with is the dizziness.
It’s come on many times so out of the blue when iv been feeling perfectly ok and non anxious....it’s been so bad at some points iv been unable to walk without help.
I also thought it felt more like there was something wrong with me head as I also get headaches and can often feel an odd feeling in my head like a pressure as if something is pushing down on my head.
This has all happened whilst iv been on medication (flueoxerine) so dread to think how bad it would of been without any medication.
Do you not think is worth a try with the medication and see if it makes things any better?
To be honest i keep the medication in my mind as a last resort, like if all else fails i have got that option (in the hope i can get back to normal without it)
Plus as i said i'm scared that i will need them forever but it's good to hear that you came off them successfully. Thanks for replying

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Two questions come to mind I notice that you say you used to box.
Do you think that has anything to do with it?

I also notice that you are on SSRI’s
have you looked up the list of side effects. To check the dizziness is not due to this. The docs never tell you this stuff

M

MKBSABC123

Hi,

No I haven’t fought since 2011 I’m sure it’s nothing to do with that. Also I’ve never took any medication, I was prescribed but never took them because I was worried about the side effects and not being able to come off them

G

gam9147

I'm afraid Anxiety attacks can produce a wide number of smyptoms exactly like what your describing, and having done a number of tests for other things and ruled them out, you do have to conclude at some point you are having anxiety attacks. Especially since your 10 months in and you say things have improved by working on CBT techniques and the anxiety medication.

Get anxiety is completely curable, you can completely come off the meds once you feel you are able to, many people have done this.

I've had anxiety and panic attacks before, but then 6 months ago started having attacks with very different symptoms that mimiced low blood sugar -- not so much dizzy but rest definitely. Took me a while to analyze them, rule out things and recognize them as anxiety attacks. Almost exactly once I admitted hat to myself and treated it as such within a few weeks they were greatly mitigated.

M

MKBSABC123

Thanks for the reply. I accept it’s anxiety and I understand that the symptoms are caused by anxiety but I’m still having them. The CBT therapy helped me stop googling my symptoms and that really helped as I was becoming obsessed but the next step was keep doing things repetitively ie going places and I was doing that anyway. I’ve nevr actually took medication although it was given to me by the doctor as I read too many horror stories.

As you say I’m a lot better than I was and I think that is with the passage of time and allowing my mind to calm down so to speak but I also still have the off balance and blurred vision a lot of the time which is really annoying. I just want to feel normal again

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Hi,

No I haven’t fought since 2011 I’m sure it’s nothing to do with that. Also I’ve never took any medication, I was prescribed but never took them because I was worried about the side effects and not being able to come off them
yes i do understand reg the medication. i cant even go on medication far too freaked out by it now

G

gam9147

One thing that helps to remind myself with health anxieties is most health problems do not get better and then worse again over time, they just get worse or stay bad. So the fact that you've had some relief of symptoms even though they do come back is a reminder of this.

And of course it takes time, 10 months is not enough for a complete cure with very heavy anxiety attacks as you were experiencing. Having patience with ourselves is very difficult, but something we must do!