• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has anyone else never been in a couple in the usual long term sense of the word?

D

DiazepamQueenHRH

Has anyone else never been in a couple in the usual long term sense of the word?

Hi everyone,

Lurked for a long time but at a loose end so decided to post today!

I have mild to moderate social anxiety and severe insomnia.

I've talked to people on social anxiety forums and a lot have said that they struggle more with making female friends but are in long term relationships, which help them to feel secure and so on.

I'm the other way round - the few friends I have are all female, and I have always had terrible luck with men.

I guess some would suggest it's because I was raised by a single mum, but I know plenty of people who have been in long term relationships and had single parents, so I don't think it's that.

I have never been with a guy who has officially termed me his girlfriend, apart from the one awful ex who pretended he wanted a baby with me then generally mucked me around, went missing, took a lot of money (a LOT of money) after telling me lots of manipulative sob stories, and then refused to return it, among other things, saying I had spent a lot of money on fertility treatment so things couldn't be that bad and he would feel it was taking advantage of his new girlfriend if he borrowed the money off her to return to me (which was his original promise - I told him I didn't care how he got it as long as he returned it, I didn't want to take advantage of the girl either, just wondered why she was given respect that I wasn't given). And that relationship only went on because I allowed him to muck me around - any individual with a modicum of self respect would have dumped him immediately. Long story that I could write 50 pages on so will stop there!

All the other men I have been with have just come over for sex and gone, I've never been with a guy who has wanted to take me out, or even go out the front door for a walk, or let me meet his friends etc.

Now I'm not that bothered because I've always been happier when I haven't had a man around, but just wondered if any other people are in the same situation, or if it's because of my mental state.

D

DiazepamQueenHRH

Any reason why my envelope is grey and everyone else's is red?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Has anyone dealt with infatuation like this? People 4
L Relationship anxiety - Has anyone been in a similar situation?? People 2
Davey Blueeyes Has anyone heard from BAGGPUSS? People 17
W Dad has cancer People 7
P A friend, I've not spoke to in years, has been diagnosed with non curable cancer.. Advice please People 4
R My life has proven yesterday to be a dead end and things will never get better, I can’t stand it. People 0
J Do you believe in the claim that everyone has good in them? People 6
L Need advise partner has anxiety, depression&paranoia People 2
J My girlfriend has Bdp People 16
Y Please help - boyfriend has depression People 3
G My girlfriend has been abused and mistreated in the past and no longer feels emotions People 1
F Friendship has become very stressful People 1
J My brother has issues...I have issues. People 4
SpiritHeart Family has brought me down... once again... People 2
K My boyfriend has depression People 1
A Husband has schizoaffective and I think it's starting to affect me People 1
blueMandM90 Friend has removed me of social media People 4
D My girlfriend has ended our relationship. People 29
O my sister has an undiagnosed mental illness, please help? People 5
Foxjo My doctor has died and I'm devastated People 9
T I think someone has been using my Mac People 15
J My girlfriend has depression.......what can i do People 5
J Lying is has ruined my relationship People 3
T My mother has cancer... ;( People 6
J Friend has suddenly deserted me People 5
L I deal with hearing a family has Cancer? People 5
RainbowHeartz mum has a bunion People 3
J Has any one every use no longer lonely dating site? People 8
RainbowHeartz worried mum has cancer People 6
H Sabotaging the future because the past has been bad People 3
L My bf's ex has bipolar, please help... People 4
L On and off separation has taken it's toll People 4
L boyfriend of a year has depression and s.a.d. wants to be single..for 2nd time.. help People 2
M Need advice! Relationship with girl who has BPD and bipolar disorder. Long post. People 4
RainbowHeartz Nan has cancer People 12
SomersetScorpio *trigger warning* He has photos of me when I was little... People 12
N wife has anger/aggression issues - need to vent! People 17
Cazcat My fiance's paranoia has just turned our world upsidedown People 4
Q I think my stepdad has a mental illness People 5
M Wife has 0 ambition People 18
A would like close friends and relationship - not sure this post has any point People 9
S Relationship has ended.. People 1
I Relationships. Why can’t I find anyone ??? People 11
Argon Have you ever hired a PI to investigate anyone? People 6
sab I need advice, anyone? People 6
Eleison feeling lonely, is anyone around? People 9
Funnyday Anyone else missing a dead relative? People 8
Zardos Anyone Herd From Fairy Lu ? People 3
H Why I hate human nature - anyone agree? People 21
angry butterfly Does anyone care? People 9