• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Has anyone dreamed that they were burned, or injured?

D

debbieb

Please I need to know. I read a study which said if people dream they are burned they will get burn wounds in real life also. Now I am absolutely terrified of dreaming to the point it's ruining my day to day life.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
what is this study?
i dont think if you dream something it makes it any more likely of that thing occurring.

D

debbieb

I remember one small article which I read in some magazine long back had one experiment given for readers. According to which If you pour normal water on the hand of sleeping person and then shouted as if it was hot that person's hand would be harmed. Studies on inducing people in hypnosis to dream of being hurt showed physical harm.

Last edited:
katya

katya

I remember one small article which I read in some magazine long back had one experiment given for readers. According to which If you pour normal water on the hand of sleeping person and then shouted as if it was hot that person's hand would be harmed. Studies on inducing people in hypnosis to dream of being hurt showed physical harm
You can't trust everything you read in magazines. :hug1:

Last edited by a moderator:
pepecat

pepecat

I remember one small article which I read in some magazine long back had one experiment given for readers. According to which If you pour normal water on the hand of sleeping person and then shouted as if it was hot that person's hand would be harmed. Studies on inducing people in hypnosis to dream of being hurt showed physical harm
I think the important things there are 'small' article - i.e not loads and loads of big, scientific articles about it proving conclusively that it's true. A one-off passing thing. And long time ago by the sounds of it, so long forgotten, disproved, and probably not true.
And also read the rest of your post - who is likely to put boiling water on your hand while you're asleep?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

debbieb

They didn't put hot water on them. It was normal temperature water, but they shouted at the sleeping person that it was hot water.

Last edited:
pepecat

pepecat

Well, either way - is it likely that someone's going to put water on your hand and shout at you while you're asleep?

D

debbieb

It was an experiment given to readers to prove the power of the mind or something to that extent.

People hypnotize others into dreaming of being harmed and they show physical signs.

Last edited:
D

debbieb

bump.. specifically looking for people who got harmed in their dream and if they woke up with physical signs.

Last edited:
S

Sirocco333

Yes several years ago I dreampt I died. I think I may have killed myself in my dream, and if so it was from falling. Right now I'm trying to find a forum for myself to ask for help. I'm not in immediate danger so no one shit their pants.

Just A Girl

Just A Girl

Debbie i'm new to this forum however i've seen you asking this question on many sections. Yet no matter how many times people tell you that no, injuries dreamed in dreams will not manifest themselves for real when you wake up, you do not seem satisfied with the responses?
You had a bad dream about a guy killing you & your kids but seriously, no matter how vivid this dream was it is NOT going to happen in real life. That magazine article you read about the study sounds like (no offense BTW) media garbage/BS (and i can't find any evidence of any studies like that actually happening).

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Just A Girl.

This is actually the original thread but it was moved to this section as it was originally in the wrong section.

Just A Girl

Just A Girl

^ Oh ok Marlieebee that makes more sense then (sorry Debbie for saying you were posting this question everywhere).

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

A lot of studies are funded by companies or businesses who have a vested interest in a particular outcome of the study.

For instance, a dieting company isn't going to tell you that most of their participants who lost any weight gained it all back within 2 years - that doesn't sell their product.
But they will shout from the rooftops about the initial weight loss that was found in the study (that they probably funded).

How do you know that whoever conducted this 'research' wasn't some hypnotherapy or self-improvement company whose products/treatments rely solely on proving the power of suggestion?

For the record, I have actually had a dream that I touched a boiling hot metal kettle and didn't wake with any injuries.