• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Has anyone been on or know about the birth control implant Nexplanon / Implanon?

• Thread starter AustralianDeb1986
  • Start date
AustralianDeb1986

AustralianDeb1986

I'm 34 and I have had very low iron levels for a long time. In March this year my doctor inserted an Implanon (I think they call it Nexplanon in some countries) implant in my arm as the hormones in it would stop me having heavy periods and that would help my iron levels. It worked for those problems and my iron levels upped...

HOWEVER about a month after I got the implant I started to feel more anxious and depressed than normal.

I have a bit of a history with anxiety and depression but they weren't too bad. In the past I'd have a big cry about once a month.

But it got to the point over the last six weeks where I have been crying almost daily, very unmotivated and in a huge pit of depression. I think it might be the hormones from the implant so I had it removed 5 days ago. Waiting to see if I improve.

Has anyone had a mental health experience with birth control methods or know someone who has? I feel so lost :hidesbehindsofa:

Faith198

Faith198

Oh yeeees. I remember when I first started the pill I was a mess. Not only was I anxious but very depressed and I almost got admitted. I’m sorry you’re having a hard time with it, birth control can be the devil.
If you can I’d recommend a progesterone only pill. The side effects are known to be better. I’m on it right now and it’s great. Everyone has different bodies though so what works for me might not work for you.
Just thought I’d suggest it

AustralianDeb1986

AustralianDeb1986

If you can I’d recommend a progesterone only pill. The side effects are known to be better. I’m on it right now and it’s great.
Thank you for the reassurance Faith.
What is the name of the progesterone only pill?