• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has anyone been helped by advocates?

L

Lilac

And if so how?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I haven't had any experience of advocates, so can't really give you much information.
Hopefully some other people might see this though and be able to help.

I tried to get an advocate to help me out a few years ago, but the waiting list was so long. I think they contacted me with an offer of help several months after i'd asked for it, and at that point I didn't really need them any more.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i was helped by a rethink advocate with legal training when i was experiencing disability hate crime from problem kids before there was disability hate crime or problem kids

I hear rethink have intensive mental health advocates but you have to be in an area thats given them the advocacy contract and have been sectioned

my local loud and clear mental health advocacy, advocay for disabled is offered by a consortium headed by mencap and they've been taken into it, they're not much good now, to speak to them you have to phone a line which reading between the lines is staffed by mencap carers

Remember when i was harrrassed some lawyer suggested contacting mencap i said it's a similar thing these mencap carers were most indignant about me comparing the 2

Might have been loud and clear that got me moved into my present flat though it wasn't something i was asking for, rethink got me moved into my last flat

There are a few issues i could do with advocacy but with the cuts i'm not a priority

One friend said to this advocate i'm intelligent and articulate i can represent myself the only reason i need you is they won't listen to me

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

One friend said to this advocate i'm intelligent and articulate i can represent myself the only reason i need you is they won't listen to me
That is so true

I tried an advocate once but didnt find her helpful. - but i suppose it depends what you need them for. My reason was as above but how can they be helpful when you've only met them once before your psych appt so they dont know you. She seemed like a bully to me and not there for me at all. And she didnt speak up in appt at all. They are supposed to be independent but i didnt feel like she was. Anyway sorry thats just my experience

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
last time i had an advocate the psych was closing my case and as i didn't want my case closed i argued illness and every time i did she played what i said down, she didn't seem to realise she wasn't helping

the case got closed

A

Amy Pond

I saw an someone from the mental health advocacy in my local area. To ask her if she knew of any alternative support services to the CMHT as they have discharged me.
She tried to help as she did speak to social services on my behalf to ask them if I could have a social worker from thee but SS told her I don't meet their criteria. Well that's most people don't get home care or a care package from Social Services for MH, they mostly give that to psychically disabled(unable to walk) which I am not.

I also saw a MH lawyer who got me a Judicial Review with my CMHT which is where you can have another assessment with a different CMHT social worker. Which was ordered by my lawyer. But that SW did not think I needed CMHT support at the moment. But I did not take my case to court because it would have cost me £600 as you have to contributed to Legal Aid based on your savings. As mine are about £3,500 that's what I would have had to pay. Also my Lawyer told me a judge cannot order my CMHT to take me back, he can only decide if the CMHT's decision to discharge me is unlawful. And if it is the judge will just tell the CMHT to go away and make another decision. And the CMHT would just find another reason why I don't meet their criteria for their services. So it would have gone on forever and I would be minus £600!

But the advocate did speak to my CMHT and they told her that although I don't meet the criteria for their services they will help me with my PIP benefit when it comes up for review and they would be happy to help me if my benefits did stop, even though am no longer with them. So at least that's something.

My GP did refer me back to the CMHT psychiatrist soon after I saw the lawyer but the psychiatrist was of the opinion that I did not need CMHT suport so they have not taken me back. But the psychiatrist told me that the CMHT will provide me wth supporting letters for my PIP benefit. I was even told this in writing by both the health trust manager and even the CMHT lawyer defending the CMHT. That the CMHT will be wiling to give me supporting letters for my benefit even though I am not with them now.

And my Ex-CMHT social worker is currently helping me with my disabled persons Freedom Pass application which allows free travel on trains and buses.

Ramboghettouk you said on another thread you have Schizophrenia, which is said to be quite a severe illness. So I would have thought that your health trust would have let you have at least a psychiatrist. I don't understand why they haven't.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Ramboghettouk you said on another thread you have Schizophrenia, which is said to be quite a severe illness. So I would have thought that your health trust would have let you have at least a psychiatrist. I don't understand why they haven't.

I've never been sectioned as one gp said it is unusual for a schitzoprenic never to have been sectioned, nowadays it doesn't come down to care it's legal responsibilities, the human rights act has a no of exceptions for mental illness but the corresponding balances only apply to someone sectioned under a countrys mental health act

A

Amy Pond

I've never been sectioned as one gp said it is unusual for a schitzoprenic never to have been sectioned, nowadays it doesn't come down to care it's legal responsibilities, the human rights act has a no of exceptions for mental illness but the corresponding balances only apply to someone sectioned under a countrys mental health act
Well maybe you are just lucky to have a psychiatrist or GP that does not believe in Section unnecessarily. But I though you had to take medication with schizophrenia because most people with that condition cannot manage with out it.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i take meds never said i don't if you read my posts you'll see i'm highly pro med, i wonder why you get a certain amount of care considering the lack of resources

A

Amy Pond

i take meds never said i don't if you read my posts you'll see i'm highly pro med, i wonder why you get a certain amount of care considering the lack of resources
I don't know unfortunately.

I used to have both a social Worker from the CMHT or CRT as it's now called and a psychiatrist. But my CMHT discharged me in June this year back to my GP. I was reffed to Respite Care in my local area, where a support worker came round once a week and stayed with me for 2 hours.

But that is not part of the local authority and was only temporary for 3 months(from August 2014 to November 2014) so I don't have that know. I only have my GP who I don't think is enough as I don't think she can give me the support I want.

I was also referred to a local mental Health charity(who I won't name here) but unfortunately they have changed their system and no longer provide the one to one support they used to. The only support they can offer me is the once a week drop in at their day center where there are support workers there and I think you can talk to them if you want. But that's not one to one as the CMHT support is. It's a day center that centers round more in doing activities and meeting other people with MH problems, like a social club. Which is all very well but I want the same or similar I had with my CMHT social worker.

My CMHT say I don't qualify for their services because I am no longer that ill and they say they have changed their criteria this year. But they have told me that although I don't meet the criteria for their services, I can go back to them for supporting letters for my benefits. This has been confirmed to me in writing from both the CMHT manager and the CMHT lawyer who was defending my CMHT via letters to my MH lawyer and to me.

And the CMHT will help me with my Disabled Travel Pass renew(Freedom Pass)which they are doing for me. But they have not taken me back into their services and have no plans to do so at the moment. And no I am not on any medication because I don't want to be.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
one support worker told me that my main concern was benefits and he was closing my case but they'd deal with any benefit forms, on receiving the esa50 i phoned him it was a different story though i didn't have anything in writing

A

Amy Pond

one support worker told me that my main concern was benefits and he was closing my case but they'd deal with any benefit forms, on receiving the esa50 i phoned him it was a different story though i didn't have anything in writing
Is that right? Was the support worker from Social services or from a local NH charity?
In my case I was discharged from the CMHT in April this year by the psychiatrist, however I was not fully discharged until June. My social worker told me that even though the psychiatrist discharged me in April they decided not to discharge me right away as they knew I would be anxious. So I was seeing the social worker every 2 weeks until the 5th June 2014 when I was fully discharged.

But the SW told me that she would be willing to offer me a supporting letter for my PIP when the time comes and that if I wanted to come back to the CMHT I would have to be reefed by my GP. But she would still do me a supporting letter even though I am no longer with the CMHT.

Then I went to a mental Health Lawyer who though I was not fully accessed and that the criteria my CMHT are applying is too strict. Then because my lawyer intervened the CMHT agreed to give me another assessment with another CMHT social worker who did not know me for both care from social services and CMHT. So I had another assessment with that CMHT social worker but unfortunately she too though I did not need any care package from social services or support from the CMHT. So the CMHT did not take me back.

See full story here-

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread98947.html

Then about a month after that my GP reefed me back to the psychiatrist at outpaitents . But OP passed the referal on to my CMHT and I saw the CMHT psychiatrist along with a CPN. But I got the same psychiatrist who discharged me in April,,apparently he is the regular psychiatrist. And he too felt I was not ill enough to come back to the CMHT. But he told me the same thing as my social worker and the health trust manager said, that the CMHT will give me supporting letters for my PIP and they will also help me with my Freedom Pass renew when it comes up.But the psychiatrist did not take me back into the CMHT so I was discharged back to my GP again.

I emailed my old social worker and she also told me again that they would help me with my benefits and my Freedom Pass application. Which they did do.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my support workers i gather aren't from social services or mental health charities but from arms length suppport organisations, i think it was the libs who arranged for money to be taken from the nhs for social support

My present support worker is i think for those at risk of homelessness though a lot of them have mental health issues

Every year they have to bid with the council for the contract to provide support services and the cheapest win, so it changes every year no continuity of care, saw broadway one of the old ones i used, they're staff went on strike and won over been expected to accept a pay cut

Another support service the guy said he had a one room flat and after paying rent only got 50 pounds a month more than me "And who wants to work for a measly 50 pounds" used to get quite nasty

A

Amy Pond

my support workers i gather aren't from social services or mental health charities but from arms length suppport organisations, i think it was the libs who arranged for money to be taken from the nhs for social support

My present support worker is i think for those at risk of homelessness though a lot of them have mental health issues

Every year they have to bid with the council for the contract to provide support services and the cheapest win, so it changes every year no continuity of care, saw broadway one of the old ones i used, they're staff went on strike and won over been expected to accept a pay cut

Another support service the guy said he had a one room flat and after paying rent only got 50 pounds a month more than me "And who wants to work for a measly 50 pounds" used to get quite nasty
So who are you seeing for support now Ramboghettouk?

I plucked up the courage to ask my new GP, the woman doctor if she can give me a letter of support to put in my PIP claim pack when the time comes. She said she does not want to do that because she does not know what information the DWP want.She said it's better that they write to her.And she did say that if the DWP wrote t her she would support me with my benefits by telling them my care needs and she would do a letter if the DWP asked for one, but only if the DWP wrote to her first. Which I am not happy with as I would rather put something in my claim pack when I send it off, not wait for the to write to my GP.

I told my CMHT social worker all this and she said that she will write me a supporting letter even though I am not with the CMHT. And when I phoned my social worker the following day, she said if my benefits was cut and I had to appeal she would also write a letter to support that, if it did happen.

As it is with the free travel pas or Freedom Pass for disabled people-If you look on the form it says they want a care plan, or letter from your CMHT CPN , social Worker or Psychiatrist not the GP. Indeed it does not even mention the GP on the Freom Pass form.

So it seems my Council are only aiming to give out Freedom Passes to people who are with the CMHT. Of course I don't have a Care Plan as my GP does not do Care Plans and I am no longer with the CMHT because I am discharged but my discharged was only very recent and I am still on the High rate of Care DLA and still have the disability and illness so I am not fit to drive.

So what my ex-CMHT social worker has done is fill in the form for me ticking YES to where it says do you see a social worker, CPN and are you unfit to drive.

And she has put her name and the name of the psychiatrist I saw on the form. So the Freedom Pas Team can write to her or the CMHT for further information if they want to. And she has put on the form that I saw the psychiatrist 2 months ago which is true. So hopefully I will get my Freedom Pass renewed thanks to the CMHT.