Has anybody tried counselling for schiz?

burt tomato

burt tomato

I am thinking about getting a counsellor, but just wondering if it will be helpful?

Does it make any difference for schizophrenia?

It could be helpful to talk about day-to-day issues?

T

Thoughtsy

I haven’t as yet started my therapy, mine begins 10th September but my friend has been diagnosed with Scizophrenia and has been in therapy for a good few months I would say. I asked them what they thought about therapy and whether they found it helpful and they did say it was a rough start, they didn’t think it was going to help but after a few sessions, strategies were developed and now with the help of a counsellor/therapist they are able to live with it. They also sent me a couple websites which helped them understand the benefits of therapy and what type best suits them. I will private message you the links as I’m not sure how to include it here.

You will most likely go to an assessment and they will decide which type of therapy would suit you best and give you the best help. Obviously, it won’t be able to cure you but it can help you understand and cope with your problem better as the websites will explain further.

If you would like to talk further your welcome to pm me when I send the links.

Take Care :)

claude

claude

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I had psychosis focused cbt but the psychologist was quite flexible in her approach which was much better for me. I found it most useful to talk through the things that led up to my first episode and the first "treatment" I got for it on the nhs. It helped my sadness about it all and I could stop rumination on it. It was validating. The more cbt side of things, looking at strategies for voices etc I found quite patronising tbh but that might have been helpful to someone else I guess.
I think it is important to be clear what works for you and what doesnt as you go along.
I got a lot better at letting go paranoid ideas after as I had processed the trauma of the first few years a bit more
Good luck with whatever you decide

Passionflower

Passionflower

I had therapy with a psychologist for 1 year, but apart from talking about the past, I didn't think it helped with my psychosis. The psychologist was a bit random in his approach though which didn't help either.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I've seen several therapists over many years. (14) At first it didn't really help at all because I didn't let myself trust the therapists and didn't open up to them about anything that had meaning to me. But somewhere along the way something changed and it started helping me and I started being open and honest with them. I see my psychologist therapist once every two weeks now and I usually feel better after seeing her. She uses a mixture of CBT and supportive therapy with me.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

No I never have. I only used therapy for my depression. I didn't think it could help with schizophrenia or schizoeffective disorder? I hope it works for you Burt Tomato. :hug:

E

Eli1980

I’ve just come back from seeing my CPN and we are going to start to work on compassion for voices?. It sounds like something that could work for me. There’s a cartoony video on YouTube which is pretty good and explains it well( sorry don’t know how to link) but really worth a check out.

Ollie

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
one psychiatrist said psychotherapy doesn't work for schitzoprenia, i said i've got a friend off drugs due to psychotherapy, he said she was never schitzoprenic, i said she was diagnosed schitzoprenic he said mistaken diagnosis

anything that doesn't fit their views becomes mistaken diagnosis

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It is always good to talk to someone you trust.
some women find it quite romantic that the women i had a relationship with 30yrs ago i;m still in contact with she's now 70 has a brain tumour, but i'll miss her as someone i trust explicitedly makes a difference having someone you trust if your on the paranoid side

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if you've got the money burt it may be worth trying counselling, but a lot of them all thats achieved is paying their morgage for them

heard this therapist at this place in st johns wood i used to go for acupuncture, she said at the first hint of psychosis they're told to refer people to a psychiatrist

vanish

vanish

I have a wonderful psychologist who works by day in a public ward and has private practice in the evening. We are working on developing coping strategies as I find it hard to cope with my illness.

J

Jules5

Definitely go see therapist-during your intake they should assign you to the one who is familar with your disorder and able to work through your triggers and or everyday life events. Good Luck Burt Therapy works just as effectively as medications if not better than. Hugs

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
they used to say therapy doesn't work with schitzoprenia they also used to say schitzoprenics shouldn't work

and theres not many schitzoprenics who can afford paying for therapy, doubt many are experienced though they love using schitzoprenics for free training

what are you looking for help or cure?