• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has an ordinary person ever asked you if you have a mental illness?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

This situation happened to me maybe six years ago, but I think about it every now and then. I was renting a room in someone's house. The person who rented the room to me left the house one day, and when she didn't return for quite some time, I called the police and an officer came to the house. I told the officer what happened, and within one minute, he asked me if I have a mental illness. To this day, I have no idea how he figured that out so quickly. It was probably because I called the police for a minor incident, which at the time seemed important to me. Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation?

M

ManDss

No, never. But people can see I have "something" going on with me.

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

Doctors do it all the time. Don't think anyone else has.

B

Bod

Former member
A few times when talking to people when I have just a T shirt on in the summer, some have asked Do you suffer mental health issues and I say yes.

K

Keesha

I use the word "ordinary" to describe someone who is not a mental health professional.
Well in that case I wouldn’t call a police man, ordinary. They are trained in mental health issues. They have to be.

To answer the question, yes. It was a police man.

H

hairybanana

Well in that case I wouldn’t call a police man, ordinary. They are trained in mental health issues. They have to be.

To answer the question, yes. It was a police man.
They’re not though Keesh. Tell you what, some absolute horror stories of the way cops have responded to a person experiencing an episode

H

hairybanana

I haven’t had anyone say those words directly to me, more of a “what the fuck is wrong with you?” Kind of response

K

Keesha

They’re not though Keesh. Tell you what, some absolute horror stories of the way cops have responded to a person experiencing an episode
You have a point. Police officers ARE properly trained to deal with mental ill citizens but don’t often put their training to use. Actually that’s a very good point. In my circumstance(s) they ‘have’ gone above and beyond the call of duty.

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

Seems to me there's a difference between UK and US cops in that respect. Though UK cops can sometimes be really bad about such things (one recent appalling example, that resulted in a criminal conviction for the police officer concerned, comes to mind), they can also on occasion be surprisingly good. Most of all they seem far better than their US counterparts - who appear to have a tendency to simply shoot dead mentally-ill people who are 'acting out'.

Don't know about Australia.

Michelle Kelly

Michelle Kelly

No but I have been told 'You're a quiet person' quite a few times in my life, even when other people in the room weren't being talkative either, so I must give off a vibe. If someone is quiet, the last thing they need telling is 'you're quiet' because it makes you even more self aware.

E

EclipticNight

Quite a few people asked me if I was insane in my youth. I always told them no, it's phycosis actually. They never knew what to say to that.

R

Ron76

A cop apologised to me once for bringing me to be sectioned because he saw I was perfectly healthy.