• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has a mental health doctor ever refused to prescribe you an antidepressant?

A

Anastassia Florine

Has a mental health doctor ever refused to prescribe you an antidepressant?

Twice this happened to me. Once in Vancouver, British Columbia, because I think he thought an anti-d would make me dangerous. He either didn't care that I was depressed, or blamed it on the fact that I had stopped the loxapine. (When I started hemming and hawing and hedging with him about Effexor he said, in a voice that said clearly that I would be picked up by the police if I did not, "What you need is to get back on the loxapine!") The second shrink, in Gaspe, Quebec, that refused to give me ADs did so because she doesn't want it to make me manic or agitated or something like that... not manic, not agitated, but something like that. I forget what... too drugged on other things to remember. She gave me lithium instead. But soon I will be off the lithium (she says she sees no point in keeping me on it because all it does is slow me down) and I wonder what she'll be giving me next! She says she does not trust me with a bottle of Lamictal, after I confessed two moments of insanity when for whatever reason I considered overdosing on lithium. I'm on valproate now (500 in the morning and 500 at night). It think it sedates me a little, in a similar way Risperdal does for some reason. I'm also on loxapine (25 every night). I wonder if she expects the depression to go away on its own or if she will prescribe something else because she said the lithium was what she would choose to use on my depression but then she said that all it did was slow me down so there was no point in me being on it... so it will be another mood stabilizer, probably. I hope they aren't too sedating.

W

whatstheproblem?

Maybe you should get yourself a new dr?.... Opposite problem in England- they can't get them down you fast enough! Sorry you're having a bad of it and not getting the right support, I hope this changes asap xx

A

Anastassia Florine

I'll be moving out of this small town soon to Montreal, and there they havea very good mental health service in one place, and even if it doesn't provide antidpresssants some other doctor will! :) I was too lazy to see another doctor in Vancouver to get some anti-d's and was having other problems too and ended up committed for 2 days before I had the chance, and then after that we were getting ready to move and I was miserable and feeling awful and finally instead of me having to go somewhere else alone my parents took me back to the place I had gone to all along there and another doctor there gave me something temporary for the trip. Then when I got to PEI I was feeling awful still and so this doctor there gave me Celexa, but I had been on it 3 times already and it hadn't worked the last 2 times, and this 4th time it didn't work either and then I moved again and was put on different things to see what would work; never a good antidepressant tho!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Forum-has anyone else been let down by mental health services Depression Forum 21
R Brother has mental health issues, need advice. Depression Forum 1
Nikita My mental health has deteriorated I am gonna ask for help! Depression Forum 5
B Do you think where you live has an affect on your mental health? Depression Forum 11
MeAndMyDepression Has an ordinary person ever asked you if you have a mental illness? Depression Forum 25
M Has anyone done anonline test for mental ilness? Depression Forum 8
C Parental love and depression: has anyone else suffered from too much love? Depression Forum 6
E My depressed partner has shut me out and now I am feeling bad Depression Forum 10
D Has an antidepressant suddenly stopped working for Depression Forum 6
MeAndMyDepression Has anyone ever worn the "Life is Good" brand of clothing? Depression Forum 4
B Has an anti-depressant ever caused you to have tinnitus or TMJ? Depression Forum 9
X Has anyone actually recovered from the emotional numbness part of depression Depression Forum 12
MeAndMyDepression Has anyone tried Ritalin for depression? Depression Forum 14
B My Doctor has given Up on me. Depression Forum 10
mirrormaker is this everything life has to offer? Depression Forum 15
J Has anyone else experienced this?? (Depression zaps) Depression Forum 4
KittyCat92 My cat has been put to sleep Depression Forum 30
L My depression has prevented fatherhood Depression Forum 4
ChibiHufflepuff My escape has become a personal hellscape... Depression Forum 1
HellRider The Delusion has to be broken Depression Forum 4
L Today Has Been Bad. TRIGGAR WARNING Depression Forum 8
anodyne Lifelong loneliness has made me hate people Depression Forum 27
lifecangetbetter has anyone noticed smart people are angry Depression Forum 8
F Writing a letter to someone who has passed and keeping a blog Depression Forum 5
I My girlfriend has depression and broke up with me Depression Forum 8
P Helping/supporting my girlfriend who has depression Depression Forum 3
D Think my dad has depression (advice needed) Depression Forum 6
S No one has ever loved me in a way that made me feel loved Depression Forum 10
T Reality has become way too depressing. Depression Forum 17
J Gum pain has been driving me ill Depression Forum 5
MeAndMyDepression Who has concentration/memory problems because of depression? Depression Forum 5
M Girlfriend has depression and has pushed away. Need advice/support Depression Forum 2
J SPRAVATO for Treatment Resistance Depression Has anyone used Spravato? Depression Forum 4
H Husband has depression Depression Forum 3
M My dad has now caused me to get anxiety attacks Depression Forum 5
IcyShadow The darkness has returned Depression Forum 5
S My boyfriends depression has become worse and now he’s acting mean? Depression Forum 63
Fairy Lucretia my dog has a poorly tummy Depression Forum 23
S New relationship has pushed me back down again Depression Forum 6
K How to help someone who has tried to commit suicide (two times) Depression Forum 6
M Depression has turned me into a monster Depression Forum 4
J Has my depressed fiancé fallen out of love? Depression Forum 6
wollie At last my pdoc has found a med that works for me Depression Forum 7
Tawny Depression has put it's slippers on Depression Forum 61
B My girlfriend has depression and is pushing me away. Depression Forum 3
R Has anyone ever been on Trintellix? What were your experiences? Depression Forum 2
G Mom has been in a depressive episode for over a month Depression Forum 2
C A single event last week has broken me Depression Forum 9
bluestar ocean If a person has one month of chronic depression does that age the face or is that not enough time to do aging damage? Depression Forum 5
S Anti seizure meds for anxiety has someone tried this? Depression Forum 4