• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hardcore binge eater

M

MrMuscles

~My hardcore addiction

My binge eating disorder is something I've rarely ever discussed, it never seemed like a big deal because I'm not obese.

No one looking at me would assume I have an eating disorder of any kind. I'm a perfect example of health on the outside. I'm a bodybuilder, so this disorder is even more unexpected.

I'm physically addicted.....to ice cream.....
It's worse than it sounds.

After doing some research I've discovered that ice cream is the only food that has a similar effect on the brain as cocaine. The combination of high calories/sugar releases so much dopamine that it's similar to cocaine....or at least that's how I understand it. The potential for addiction is there for sure.

My binging started when I was around 10 years old. I'd save up every bit of money I could and spend it at the local grocery store on highly processed pastries/cakes/doughnuts.
I never ate the meals that my mother prepared.....she was heartbroken that I wouldn't eat but was clueless that I was sustaining myself on sweetened garbage. I also drank at least 64oz of cola/soda every single day.

Once I was old enough to smoke cigarettes my binging subsided as I delved into drugs instead. I made a dramatic shift and almost gave up eating entirely for many years. I was completely anorexic. Skin & bones.

Fast forward a decade and my binging disorder is back with a vengeance.

For the last 2 years I've struggled with binging especially hard. As a full grown adult I have more access to food items and money to purchase those items.

My addiction is so extreme that I can easily spend $100 at the grocery store on sweets just because I get the idea in my head.
I don't own a car, but I will walk for 20 minutes across town in the freezing cold at night just to buy ice cream.
Sometimes my binging involves different types of junk food, but ice cream is my go to.

I can eat more than a gallon of ice cream in one day.
I'm particularly obsessed with Ben & Jerry's.
That's 8+ pints of Ben & Jerry's in a day.

It's a miracle that I don't have diabetes and I'm not obese, but it's still very distressing that my addiction is this severe for something as trivial as ice cream. I have no control. I have multiple mental health conditions, many of which increase likelihood of binging.
I used to be great at saving money, now much of my income is spent on my crazy addiction.

Wrecks confidence, drive & motivation.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Hey bro

this does sound like a severe case of an eating disorder. I would suggest talking deeply and completely with a confidant or therapist.You will need to work through these feelings and thoughts which are the root cause.

I am rooting for you

F

flabbergasted

The ice cream thing is weird - I have it also. I'm female and have to watch my weight. But - if I bring into my home ice cream I will even wake up in middle of night to go eat it! Been years that I won't buy it. But, I also could buy the "no sugar added" ice cream and it would not do that to me - it'd be in freezer forever. Strange thing....so it's been yrs since I've bought any. Same on most sweets - if they enter my door, I'll eat until they disappear - so I very seldom do that one.

I have low blood sugar (not diabetic) - so when I eat sweets my blood sugar will spike up high for a bit and then bottom out, you feel horrible, no energy, foggy brain and of course the fix is to grab for more sugar for a pick=me-up -- wrong!! It can become a viscous cycle.

Same on soft drinks - if I bring them into home, that is all I will drink - so I don't buy them either.

I wish you luck in finding how to deal with it...it's a strange thing to deal with..Best of luck with this strange thing...Don't know if it would help you like it did me, but you might try buying the "no sugar added" and see if it is the same reaction....Good luck!

M

MrMuscles

The ice cream thing is weird - I have it also. I'm female and have to watch my weight. But - if I bring into my home ice cream I will even wake up in middle of night to go eat it! Been years that I won't buy it. But, I also could buy the "no sugar added" ice cream and it would not do that to me - it'd be in freezer forever. Strange thing....so it's been yrs since I've bought any. Same on most sweets - if they enter my door, I'll eat until they disappear - so I very seldom do that one.

I have low blood sugar (not diabetic) - so when I eat sweets my blood sugar will spike up high for a bit and then bottom out, you feel horrible, no energy, foggy brain and of course the fix is to grab for more sugar for a pick=me-up -- wrong!! It can become a viscous cycle.

Same on soft drinks - if I bring them into home, that is all I will drink - so I don't buy them either.

I wish you luck in finding how to deal with it...it's a strange thing to deal with..Best of luck with this strange thing...Don't know if it would help you like it did me, but you might try buying the "no sugar added" and see if it is the same reaction....Good luck!
Thank you!

Yes, the ice cream addiction is very strange.
The best option is to just not buy it, but it's easy for me to give up and go shopping for sweets.
I also stopped drinking soft drinks many years ago because of how addicting it is.

I probably won't eat no-sugar ice cream, but they do sell low calorie ice cream which would be a better choice.

F

flabbergasted

Maybe the low-cal will do you like the no-sugar did for me - it was delicious, but didn't have the same affect as the real deal for me.

And yeah - I had to wean myself from the sweets (candy, etc.) cause I'd eat that and not be hungry for regular meals....

Good luck with it - I'm sure you can master it!