• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Happiness

S

SomeGuy123

I read somewhere that happiness is NOT the presence of joy and excitement, happiness is the absence of pain and suffering.

That one hit deep.

Depression takes away the ability for joy and excitement anyway. So it’s not like we can even pursue that endeavour. That’s why rich people commit suicide. Their exciting endeavours does not remove their pain and suffering. Therefore overall happiness remains low.

So to truly be happy, we don’t need to be chasing the excitement, but we need to look at the pain and suffering and try and remove the causes.

And if we can’t remove the causes then we need to work towards removing the power that those causes have over our level of pain and suffering.

How do we revoke something’s ability to cause us pain and suffering?

Any ideas anyone?

I imagine it would be something like letting go of the past, past suffering, past events, past relationships, past ideas, past selves.
And understanding that we are whole as we are. We don’t need whatever is causing the suffering to go away. We need to revoke its power.

Anyone have any insights?

MollyBloom

MollyBloom

Happiness is a state of being. It comes from within. Happiness is internal. You can suffer and be in pain but still be happy. I think it’s wrong to believe that happiness is the absence of pain. Happiness is actually having the knowledge and skills to navigate through life with pain.

Joy and excitements aren’t states of being but momentary emotions that come from out of you. They are external. They can refiect happiness but also mask it.

S

SomeGuy123

I think I’ve been clinically depressed since I was a boy.
No joy from anything.
Growing up I had a lot of fear and rejection from my father and my mother was loving but neglectful.

I always had a lot of sadness and during my teens I would binge drink alcohol to become numb. But once I experienced love and heartbreak I was never able to experience any joy after that. It’s like the love gives you joy then when it doesn’t work out you’re never whole again. The world is grey and all exciting adventures turn into pointless empty experiences. So all that’s left is indifference to all of the possibilities that would usually bring people joy.
Sex and alcohol are my only escape and they both come with a sad sad hangover