Hangovers... Enjoyable?

C

CaptainFlint

Okay I might be in the minority here..

But oddly enough, I LOVE my hangovers (assuming I'm not too busy the next day)

Sounds kind of odd, and definitely unhealthy. Because when I drink, which isn't regularly anymore, I drink a lotttt. Ended up hitting the high abv beer late last night against my better judgement.

And woke up blissfully unable to think. I think since I'm someone who can't turn off my brain, and drive myself crazy by overthinking everything throughout my day and night. The way alcohol numbs and scrambles the brain gives me a great deal of rarely gotten peace.

And remember, I'm talking specifically about the hangover here. Anyone else experience anything like this?!

It sounds absurd, unsustainable, and definitely unhealthy. But something about it works. I feel physically not great. But my mind gets turned off in a way that even meds cant quite accomplish.

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I like the feeling of turning off my brain while I am drinking and is the entire reason I do it. It calms my nerves instantly, but the hangover is always terrible and makes me regret ever drinking.

I read an article once about a small percentage of people who just don't get sick from alcohol and can drink and drink. Do you feel nauseous, dehydrated, achy, groggy? I will look for that article.

C

CaptainFlint

Hmm, I definitely feel dehydrated and groggy when I wake up. But not achey or nauseous really.

I can drink any amount and not get sick. It's a talent I wish I didn't have haha

At my worst point, several years ago. Before I knew I had bipolar, and was entirely self medicating with booze to kill the pain. I drank a full bottle of vodka every day, for a couple months straight.

I resolved to never drink hard alcohol again, so these days I stick to wine or beer. But I suppose drinking 2+ bottles of wine in a night isn't so healthy either.. that's why I don't drink more than once every couple of weeks now haha. If I drink, its always gonna be too much

Sometimes I envy people who can't handle alcohol. Lol

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I found several. Here is a quote from one:
"Intriguingly, the suffering of a hangover may also hinge on certain personality traits; one study found that neurotic people are more likely to suffer from hangover than people who are more laid back. That doesn’t mean that the agony is necessarily “made-up” or exaggerated; emotions are known to modulate the experience of pain, meaning that feelings of guilt and anxiety might amplify, the real, physical distress."​
That's interesting!

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

Also this article says you are in the lucky 25% that don't really get hangovers

J

Jules5

I for one hate hangovers I feel so stupid and out of sorts. My brain is cloudy and it last for hours. Hydration is a good remedy.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I used to get dreadful hangovers when i was younger but find i just cant tolerate more than a couple of drinks now or else i fall asleep.

fazza

fazza

Anything other than vodka gives me a terrible hangover

Someoldguy

Someoldguy

I like the feeling of turning off my brain while I am drinking and is the entire reason I do it. It calms my nerves instantly, but the hangover is always terrible and makes me regret ever drinking.

I read an article once about a small percentage of people who just don't get sick from alcohol and can drink and drink. Do you feel nauseous, dehydrated, achy, groggy? I will look for that article.
I have not consumed hard liquor for decades now, but I like beer much more than I should. I typically sleep 7 hours and so long as I get close to my normal amount of sleep, I suffer no effects the next day that I can detect. 2 dozen beers consumed in an afternoon is not unusual. I only allow myself to do this on days off, and I stay at home so as to keep myself out of trouble. Occasionally I get bored and take to the internet, often getting into discussions I would normally avoid. I'm trying to stop doing that.

C

CaptainFlint

I have not consumed hard liquor for decades now, but I like beer much more than I should. I typically sleep 7 hours and so long as I get close to my normal amount of sleep, I suffer no effects the next day that I can detect. 2 dozen beers consumed in an afternoon is not unusual. I only allow myself to do this on days off, and I stay at home so as to keep myself out of trouble. Occasionally I get bored and take to the internet, often getting into discussions I would normally avoid. I'm trying to stop doing that.
Haha I'm guilty of that as well. A day at home alone seems to be a good way to bother nobody, but occasionally the temptation of the internet is too much to resist, and I wake up the next day aware of many stupid things I've said.

Gonna have to try to quit drinking for a longer period of time.. I do like how drinking mutes my thoughts and neuroses so we'll at times, but I hate to be a nuisance. And equally important, I don't want to gain weight! Haven't been running recently, so all the beers will catch up pretty quick I imagine

I

indigo6

Has massive effect on dep and anx. Brings it all tumbling out. Hangover, no thanks, feeling ill all day and upsetting digestion is not for me. I stay away from grandpas cough medicine these days. Except a nice flavoured gin at a rate of 1 per 2 months..woo woo.