• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Handed in my notice

N

Nutter_09

Hi all,

I didn't manage to get to work today. Had bad anxiety but tried my hardest. I went back to the doctors who decided to sign me off for a month. He could see I was not ready. I have now decided to hand in my notice. I think it would be likely for them to sack me otherwise. I just called my boss who seemed pleased at this decision!!
I now have a month to get my act together and find out what I want to do with my life. I am told you should never make major decisions while depressed, but In my case, I feel it is better to leave, than be fired.

I don't feel relieved or better ATM. Will have a tough time ahead due to money etc but my family have kinda come round to the fact that I am ill.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey Nutter 09
I am sorry you felt you had no choice but to hand your notice in at work. I know how hard that must have been for you, but honestly - they couldn;t have sacked you whilst you were off sick.

I am currently off work too and I do think the same, maybe I will be medically terminated.
Please try to remember to look after yourself though, concentrate on getting well.
:hug:
KS

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Sorry you had to so this, but at least now its one less thing for you to worry about - you were really stressed out about what to say to them now all you have to do is concentrate on getting yourself better and in a better place with yourself.:flowers: heres some flowers to cheer you up.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I did the same thing Nutter but I let things get far worse before I took the action you have. Now you can concentrate on yourself.
Take care.
KP:hug:

D

daisy girl

I know how your feeling,i went through the same thing.If you are not ready to work maybe it is for the best that you handed your notice in as it gives you time to concentrate on you and what you want.

daisy
x

N

Nutter_09

Thanks all. Still waiting for the relief to kick in!
I looked on the internet and you can't claim unfair dismissal if you have not yet served 1 year. I only did 7 months so they could have and I would not have a leg to stand on.

I will now concentrate on myself and try and get better. Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any financial help while I am off?

Q

quality factor

As you were so distressed I feel you have come to the right decision, if it felt right for you. Your employers didn't sound very caring....perhaps things don't work like that anymore.
I'm not sure where you stand benefit wise, but I'm sure somebody on the forum can point you in the right direction.
All the best to you, and as others have said, concentrate on taking care of yoursef and trying to get well.:flowers:

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I think your best bet is trying for incapacity benefit - to begin with this is just the same amount as jobseekers allowance but it saves the pressure os having to attend interviews asking you what you're doing to try to get back into work. I think its about £75 a week. Speak to your local jobcentre plus.

N

Nutter_09

Thanks all - that link is great - will look into that.

xXMessedUpXx

xXMessedUpXx

Technically if its unfair dismissal under the DDA then the year part is waviered.

At least you can fully concentrate on your recovery now, i'm worrying myself as i've been off nearly 3 months and am convinced they will try and fire me

invise

invise

Hey not too sure what the deal is with benefits, the other guys seem to be helping though.

Try to spend the next couple of weeks just getting better. I know I dont understand your financial situation, nor am I prying, but if you can manage for a couple of weeks hopefully on benefits, it would be a great chance to just try and get your head straight. Then hopefully with your health in a better situation you can really concentrate on getting back to work, and doing something that your going to find fulfilling. Keep us posted.

All the best,

N

Nutter_09

Thanks!
I am totally brassic now - no money at all. I have applied for some sort of illness benefit but it takes a long time to process.
My sister has been organising me some temp work with her - she said it was def going to happen, but now she thinks it will take longer.
Mum has offered to loan me money, but puts in snide, negative comments about having to pay her back, sort myself out etc!
I just have good and bad days and feel so trapped. I want a job, but am scared and also worried that it may all happen again!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Littlecaos Depression Forum 6