• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hampshire Wellness Recovery Action Plans (WRAP)

S

*Sapphire*

This is the new way Hampshire has decided to deal with it's mental health service users it appears!

http://www.hampshirepartnership.nhs.uk/patients/wrap

WRAP is an individual plan that a person chooses to develop over time; it looks at the whole of the person’s life from wellness through to times of being less well, including uncomfortable distressing experiences. WRAP is about the person understanding the meaning of these different times and action planning what they and others can do with the aim of preventing things from worsening and optimizing times of wellness.

WRAP is designed to put control in the hands of the individual empowering them to identify what is important to their wellbeing.

About WRAP
WRAP can help service users create a self-directed plan to improve theirwellbeing and support their journey of recovery.

Support, Time and Recovery
Support, Time and Recovery workers primary function is to Support service users and carers by giving them Time, and in doing so help their Recovery.

Recovery in Hampshire
Hampshire Partnership Foundation Trust is working hard to make WRAP an integral part of Adult Mental Health services. Find out how it all started.

Key concepts
WRAP is underpinned by 5 key concepts;

■Hope: People who experience mental health difficulties get well, stay well and go on to meet their life dreams and goals.

■Personal Responsibility: It's up to you, with the assistance of others, to take action and do what needs to be done to keep yourself well.

■Education: Learning all you can about what you are experiencing so you can make good decisions about all aspects of you life.

■Self Advocacy: Effectively reaching out to others so that you can get what it is that you need, want and deserve to support your wellness and recovery.

■Support: While working toward your wellness is up to you, receiving support from others, and giving support to others, will help you feel better and enhance the quality of your life.

An overview
Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) was created by Mary Ellen Copeland, an author, educator and mental health recovery advocate in the USA. Mary Ellen describes WRAP as;

"WRAP is a tool that can aid an individual’s recovery and its underpinning principles support the recovery approach. WRAP is a systematic way of monitoring wellness, times of being less well and times when experiences are uncomfortable and distressing. It also includes details of how an individual would like others to support them at these different times.”

www.mentalhealthrecovery.com

Mary Ellen Copeland has a comprehensive website that has numerous resources including some different versions of WRAP e.g. veterans of the armed services dealing with post-traumatic stress.

With permission of Mary Ellen Copeland WRAP has been slightly developed by service users in Hampshire.
What do people think?
Has anyone experienced having a WRAP?
Did it work for you?

R

raverminx

Just completed my wrap plan, whilst it makes sense, I find it hard to stick too!

Madmim

Madmim

I've never heard of it. My Psychiatrist doesn't discuss much with me about my care. So am not sure if it's been done without me knowing? Can that happen?

maxitab

maxitab

No it can't. You write your plan it is not written for you, and the two main sections are a plan for dealing with everyday things, and the crisis plan. I have found both to be invaluable.

A

Arachnaprobe

I've not long been diagnosed but this has been suggested to me so hope to do one soon as am struggling a lot!

J

jaynebeal

i am in the middle of finishing my wrap in the coming weeks. i find it useful too.

F

Fizzz

I would love to do WRAP but MIND have stopped running it as the Government pulled the plug on the funding