• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

haloperidol as a sleeping pill?

M

mickeymoo

After trying tamazepam to help me sleep (I stopped sleeping) my dr said to try this. Ive just looked on packet and it doesn't say anything abou being a sleeping tablet. Anyone else had this?

NeoDelta

NeoDelta

Ive been on haloperidol (for schizophrenia) but found it gave me the oppisite and made me stay awake on it, i had to take an over the counter sleep aid to sleep.

emski

emski

It's a typical antipsychotic. One of the older types. It is supposed to be tranquillising but I've never heard of it being used for insomnia, it is more for the control of psychotic or highly agitated manic symptoms, hence it is used often used in hospital settings for rapid tranquilisation.

What dose have you been prescribed and for how long?

M

mickeymoo

Now I am really confused!! She asked me if I was restless, racing mind etc and I said yes but she said the other one (tamazepam) was a minor tranquilizer and she would try me on a major one so I assumed it just meant stronger. It won't help me sleep then>/?

M

mickeymoo

Forgot to add they are 1.5 mg and it is a pack of 28-one a day so I assume I just take them for the next month and ring her then, or if I have any problems in between

SimonB

SimonB

It's a typical antipsychotic. One of the older types. It is supposed to be tranquillising but I've never heard of it being used for insomnia, it is more for the control of psychotic or highly agitated manic symptoms, hence it is used often used in hospital settings for rapid tranquilisation.

What dose have you been prescribed and for how long?
Its exaclty as emski has outlined.....it can also disturb sleep patterns.

Lots of people have sleep difficulties with MH, its case of finding what works for you if you can't correct your actual sleep pattern/trends.

Zopliclone is one of the newer sleep meds, but tht has draw backs too. For me I woke an hour or two after taking it or I was zonked in the day....

Can you see a different GP?

emski

emski

The terms 'minor' and 'major' tranquilisers are misleading, since the primary desired effects of antipsychotics should be to alleviate symptoms of psychoses / mania. Tranquilise meaning to calm, not to sedate. However, many antipsychotics have a secondary sedative effect, but that depends on drug, person and dose.

Is the haloperidol to take alongside the temazepam, or has that been discontinued?

M

mickeymoo

Tamazepam has been stopped, only had a few days worth anyway.

I have also stopped mirtazapine ad-my dr said that my mania/hypomania was a side affect of the ad. I am know really confused though!! She never asked me about being psychotic or anything like that. Unless she thought it would calm me down enough to sleep? But if a sleeping tablet doen't work, how is a calmer going to?

M

mickeymoo

so should i not take them, I am supposed to have started mon (had to wait for the to be ordered in which I thought was a bit strange) or are they just going to mess me up. Is it quite a strong drug>?

SimonB

SimonB

mickeymoo....you need to discuss this with your doctor...ask all the questions you need to and make sure you get the right information...then you can make informed decisions....

emski

emski

Sorry moo - I didn't mean to confuse you. I might have asked you this before, but have you been diagnosed bipolar or was it the AD making you hypo/manic?

She might have prescribed it to ease restlessness, agitation or overactivity if you have a diagnosis like bipolar or schizophrenia which in turn may mean that you are calmer and able to sleep. If this is not applicable though I cannot see that it is indicated even off label for use as hypnotic for insomnia.

Has your doctor tried you with anything before temazepam? One of the 'z' drugs like zopiclone as Simon mentioned?

emski

emski

mickeymoo....you need to discuss this with your doctor...ask all the questions you need to and make sure you get the right information...then you can make informed decisions....
Simon's right - we're not qualified, but in my personal opinion I don't know her rationale in prescribing you this drug as a sleeping tablet

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 1
Clydol_17 Bipolar Forum 7