• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

had my initial assessment

M

mickeymoo

Went along today for what I thought would be a meeting with psychiatrist but it was actually an assessment to see if I needed it.

Think it went quite well, she said they will take me on and she will try and schedule an urgent appointment.

She said I was unwell (!) and had a manic mind:D:evil: and that I was exhibiting bipolar symtptoms and had a history of it since my teens.

Is it normal to have an assessment first?

iffybob

iffybob

I had one .. but mine was a joke ...

.. I was supposed to be there for a referal to a psychologyst .. but the cpn only wanted to know who else she could plam me off on ... I dont like cpn's , too much power too little education , and unwarnted amounts of attitude ..

.. I ended up back there a year later .... same cpn .. she had taken bad notes .. nothing about my psychological state .. realy ...
.. I kept it simple for the idiot this time .. and got the referal I should have had the year before ...

M

mickeymoo

I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like you had a bad experiance.

I don't know who I saw. Would it havve been a cpn? She was brill whoever she was and took almost 2 hrs with me. Was worth her weight in gold.

RainbowChild

RainbowChild

THanks for your posts (y)

I haven't had wonderful experiences the last couple of years with the "assessment" process..when I feel up to chatting I will elaborate more

Meanwhile it's on and off the rollercoaster we go........:mad:

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Went along today for what I thought would be a meeting with psychiatrist but it was actually an assessment to see if I needed it.

Think it went quite well, she said they will take me on and she will try and schedule an urgent appointment.

She said I was unwell (!) and had a manic mind:D:evil: and that I was exhibiting bipolar symtptoms and had a history of it since my teens.

I saw a psychiatrist first time without any pre assessments. I suppose it may vary as to which part of the country you live in.

Good luck with finally getting a diagnosis!

dib4uk

dib4uk

yes i had an assessment over two meetings with my psychiatrist to see and gather my history etc.

Jools

Jools

Hi Mickeymoo...

Quick question.

I am having an appointment in a 2 weeks with my GP, to try to tell what is the problem so she can send me to someone. Do you know from your experience what is the procedure? Or you went straight to private?
What would you recommend me?

Many thanks.

M

mickeymoo

Hi Mickeymoo...

Quick question.

I am having an appointment in a 2 weeks with my GP, to try to tell what is the problem so she can send me to someone. Do you know from your experience what is the procedure? Or you went straight to private?
What would you recommend me?

Many thanks.
I have pm'd you. As anyone whose read my posts on here its quite a long story!