• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Had enough of taking meds

B

boffin1252

Currently on 400mg quitiapine a day. Just makes me feel drowsy, flat no energy. Told my psychiatrist I wanted to try other meds. He asked me to get my thyroid function checked, waiting for results.

I know its side affects from an anti psychotic. They won't let me try other meds so I'm thinking of slowly tapering myself off. I want to try to self manage my bipolar. Felt happier not on meds.

Also it's not healthy to take meds. Drug companies probably don't tell you that they shorten your life either.

D

Doopadoop

If you dont feel a drug is working for you I'd still follow their advice, since it's only safe, but do you feel properly supported? Maybe getting a second opinion would help? I didnt do very well on my first medication, it made me numb while I felt manic undercurrents and just couldn't react to them. Not to mention my blood pressure going sky high. It's hard trying meds... I'm only on my second one day four. I know they may shorten my life but.... I shorten my own life exponentially more with binge drinking and other things I barely had control over. I'm currently on Abilify and its helping me so much. I wasnt sleeping more than a few hours a night, when I did, they were so dream filled and I felt i was present in them every moment it was literally driving me insane. How long have you taken your meds? It took me a good 4 weeks to determine my first med wasnt for me. It sort of helped but dipped. It could be the opposite for you and improve as time goes on. Or... I was already depressed and swung into an manic episode. It's really hard to be patient and tell. I document my days daily to help me tell what the right choices are.

B

boffin1252

Been on quitiapine for 8 months now

B

boffin1252

Can't get second opinion in UK. Only other way is private

Wishbone

Wishbone

What other meds are you interested in trying?

B

boffin1252

Maybe lithium or lamotrigine

Wishbone

Wishbone

And you have an official diagnosis of Bipolar, yes?

B

boffin1252

Yes rapid cycling bipolar

Wishbone

Wishbone

What percentage would you say you had with depression versus hypo's or mania?

Here's a link to a fairly comprehensive review of Bipolar meds. Use ctrl and the F key to search for particular things as it's a bit of a beast! Evidence-based guidelines for treating bipolar disorder: revised third edition Recommendations from the British Association for Psychopharmacology

Further studies can be found by searching at the top. If you can find recent studies that recommend certain things then you can make a decent case for yourself with your doc and maybe get different meds or combinations going forwards.

C

CabbageMama

I have what my Psych has called a paradoxical reaction to meds. Basically they all have the opposite effect or do naff all. I am just on Pregabalin now, seeing how that goes. Hasn't been the easiest thing coming off the last two meds recently, but I am glad I have.

S

SFGuy

I'm so sorry you can't get a second opinion. We have so many medication options! Here in San Francisco, we have the same problem you have with NHS. The best Pdocs won't take insurance. I've been lucky to be able to find and afford a good private one, but she's painfully expensive even with the discount she gives me.

For me, the risk of stopping a med on my own is too high. I have fiddled with dosages, though. Without drugs, I get awful mixed states that can last forever and hypomanic ultradian cycling. Yuck.

C

Constantine

I too want to quit my meds. They make me feel blah and I cannot think clearly when on them. Never mind any creativity. I used to be able to write and express myself and read and comprehend but the medications have taken all that away. I am also fearful of what the drugs are doing to my body and life expectancy but what are the alternatives? To go back is not an answer but the way forward, like this, seems a tragedy. The Dr. is liable to have a freak out if I tell him I want off the meds, but I do want off, and I suppose what I want is the most important. Are there any opinions/advice out there anyone would care to share? I'm all ears.

C

CabbageMama

I too want to quit my meds. They make me feel blah and I cannot think clearly when on them. Never mind any creativity. I used to be able to write and express myself and read and comprehend but the medications have taken all that away. I am also fearful of what the drugs are doing to my body and life expectancy but what are the alternatives? To go back is not an answer but the way forward, like this, seems a tragedy. The Dr. is liable to have a freak out if I tell him I want off the meds, but I do want off, and I suppose what I want is the most important. Are there any opinions/advice out there anyone would care to share? I'm all ears.
Everyone says once you find the right balance of meds, you are fine, but getting there has not been straightforward for me. Before I knew I had bipolar and started the medication journey to find what would help, I was doing ok. Far better than I have been this year on meds, certainly. Mostly up, some horrible temporary lows, but it is all I have known, so just kind of got on with it. I don't like taking medication, am only on the one at the moment, so that there aren't too many changes at once. My feeling is that I will come off that and see how I go, what my actual needs are. I have stopped work to focus on my health. Started doing a lot more positive non med things to get myself stable and well. Personally, I would really benefit from a Partner to give me some much needed reassurance and stability when I am struggling. When I am doing well, I am fine on my own.

B

boffin1252

My bloods came back fine thyroid, liver, kidneys, lipids, function. So can't find any evidence it's harmful at this stage. Perhaps it's bad for my brain.

I knew I was feeling sedated from quitiapine, it's simply the side effects. I was thinking of tapering my self off and seeing what happens.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Good that your bloods came back ok. Let me ask you this though: you said in your opening post that you "Felt happier not on meds". How did you come to get a diagnosis of Rapid Cycling Bipolar?