• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Had anybody moved house/ town alone?

B

baileys

I really want to move away from everything I have and everyone I know and have start a fresh, has anyone else tried this and did it help or will I just take my problems with me.
I only have bad memories where I live now and I feel totally isolated because my family don't have anything to do with me (narcissistic mother) and I only have one friend but she isn't really my type.
I've suffered with anxiety and depression all my life and I find having friends hard work because of my upbringing i expect.
I've always dream't of moving to the isle of wight. I've holidayed there many time and I always feel so much more relaxed over there. I know a holiday is different to living somewhere and I'm worried that I wont feel happy when I get there and my problems will follow me.
I will be moving alone, well just me and my dog. Am I mad to attempt it, has anybody moved away and found they were happier.
I feel its my last chance.

AustralianDeb1986

AustralianDeb1986

Why not try it? If you could find a place to live at the Isle Of Wight for you and your dog it could be a happy fresh start, join some kind of group there maybe to meet some friends

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

I can understand your concerns. I dream of moving away all the time. But I'm so scared of doing it alone! I think it would be good for me to escape the constant reminders of bad memories here and make a fresh start, but I worry that I'll feel even more isolated in a place where I know absolutely nobody. Or create bad memories there also!

B

baileys

I can understand your concerns. I dream of moving away all the time. But I'm so scared of doing it alone! I think it would be good for me to escape the constant reminders of bad memories here and make a fresh start, but I worry that I'll feel even more isolated in a place where I know absolutely nobody. Or create bad memories there also!
They are my worries too but I just don't know how I can feel worse than I do now.

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

They are my worries too but I just don't know how I can feel worse than I do now.
That's a fair point. And if you always feel relaxed there, it's likely that you will feel better.

Z

Zoe1

you could check out what kind of mental health services they have over there
see if it makes a complete package for you

:grouphug: 🎼🐢🍒

B

baileys

That's a fair point. And if you always feel relaxed there, it's likely that you will feel better.
Its just a huge decisions to make, especially being alone there with anxiety and depression. I just wish I knew what to do

B

baileys

you could check out what kind of mental health services they have over there
see if it makes a complete package for you

:grouphug: 🎼🐢🍒
Thanks, I did look a while ago to see what services they have there, I don't think it was a lot.

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

Its just a huge decisions to make, especially being alone there with anxiety and depression. I just wish I knew what to do
Yes, I can understand the dilemma. I have anxiety too, and I'm not sure I could cope with a big move on my own. I moved 5 years ago, but it was only to the other side of town with my then-partner's help. It's a big life change, and even people without mental health problems find it stressful!

S

Skylark86

I think it depends on if you are ready to confront your issues. I did it and found first few months really hard, you are alone, no one to distract you from your own thoughts and issues. For me, it was what I needed, I had been in therapy for years, I needed to put it into practice. It was a lot of hard work, very up and down moments, a lot of sleepless nights etc. However I came through it stronger, found the space away from family and friends made me evaluate those relationships, got closer to some kept away from others.
I think if you move somewhere key thing is have a purpose of being there whether that's a job, a hobby, education etc, something to give you a bit of routine and a reason to get up for. Good luck in whatever you decide.

L

Lost2020

I really want to move away from everything I have and everyone I know and have start a fresh, has anyone else tried this and did it help or will I just take my problems with me.
I only have bad memories where I live now and I feel totally isolated because my family don't have anything to do with me (narcissistic mother) and I only have one friend but she isn't really my type.
I've suffered with anxiety and depression all my life and I find having friends hard work because of my upbringing i expect.
I've always dream't of moving to the isle of wight. I've holidayed there many time and I always feel so much more relaxed over there. I know a holiday is different to living somewhere and I'm worried that I wont feel happy when I get there and my problems will follow me.
I will be moving alone, well just me and my dog. Am I mad to attempt it, has anybody moved away and found they were happier.
I feel its my last chance.
I’ve just done this a few months ago for the same kind of reasons.
it’s been nice being somewhere new and away from all the bad memories and I wouldn’t move back. But I do feel really isolated and lonely as there’s literally no one I know here, but then I’ve never been a sociable person so 🤷🏼‍♀️

B

baileys

I’ve just done this a few months ago for the same kind of reasons.
it’s been nice being somewhere new and away from all the bad memories and I wouldn’t move back. But I do feel really isolated and lonely as there’s literally no one I know here, but then I’ve never been a sociable person so 🤷🏼‍♀️
I really hope that you will be happy and I hope you will find people that you can connect with. I understand how hard that is to do. I really wish I knew what would be best for me. Im going to give myself a bit more time to see if moving away will be the right thing for me.
Like you i don't have anything to keep me in the place i live now, so what have i got to loose.
If you need someone to talk to, you always contact me. I might talk crap sometimes but I mean well :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Depression Forum 38
S Depression Forum 5