• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Gajolene

Gajolene

"We'll go to the doctor when we feel flu-ish or a nagging pain. So why don’t we see a health professional when we feel emotional pain: guilt, loss, loneliness? Too many of us deal with common psychological-health issues on our own, says Guy Winch. But we don’t have to. He makes a compelling case to practice emotional hygiene — taking care of our emotions, our minds, with the same diligence we take care of our bodies."
"Oh you're feeling depressed? Just shake it off, it's all in your head!" Can you imagine saying that to somebody with a broken leg? "Oh just walk it off, it's all in your leg!" It it time we closed the gap between our physical and our psychological health - it's time we made them more equal"

BillFish

BillFish

Got this on my ted.com feed, the title put me off, seemed like gratuitous emo drivel..........but I'm usually wrong so will watch the vid.:peace:

Kerome

Kerome

Soon they'll start saying we all need regular emotional workouts, and start sending every family off to group therapy together in order to get in the emotional equivalent of a good long walk.

Gajolene

Gajolene

We are definately headed that direction more and more aren't we?.
Scenario. Kids have a problem in school, say billy whacks jimmy over a toy. don't quick solve the problem, put them in the corner and make them shake hands and make up. Instead teacher writes long assesment report, dismisses kids from class, sends them to the school counsellor, who sends them to the psychologists, who comes up with long involved life changing plan, insists on long term intervention, who recommends meds to keep stable. Constant monitoring and written history of violence anxiety. School suspends both kids refusing to readmitt without proof of said counselling, anger/anxiety management and proof of intervention. Looking for who's accountable and who's to blame, lawyering up in case of further actions based on long involved interventions. Turning something simple and normal and childlike in behaviour into a monsterous crime not normal in human nature.

And we wonder why mental health focus is in epidemic proportions.:( BTW they did that to my JS in his first primary school year. So above senario based on true story.

I'm not dismissing the video or it's benefits in anyway, I did quite enjoy it, but thought you came up with a good point Kerome. Just triggered some memories worth pondering over.

Last edited: