• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Guns?

bupanishad2012

bupanishad2012

Should anyone, particularly we who Post here, be able to buy or use guns of any sort and for any reason whatsoever? I am a Vietnam Vet and bought a 22 calibre pistol when I returned from the war, but subsequently sold it to my uncle. I actually quit using guns after that---it being now about 45 years. I told my wife once that if I ever bought a real gun (not just a BB or pellet gun), it would only be for one reason---suicide. So, we have NO guns in the house (not even BB or pellet guns). I was an avid shooter in my youth---until Vietnam. Soon after coming back from there I turned against owning guns entirely---even at my most suicidal. As I have said many times, anyone can be a killer, but there few that can heal. I take the side of the real healers! (I am NOT a doctor!) I am a Buddhist.
With Great Compassion!

P

precious

Hi
In the UK there are strict laws on guns and owning them. People with MH issues would not even be considered to own a gun licence here.
observing from this side of the water I often wounder why it is a given right to own a gun in the USA.
Some laws you have I agree with, you should be able to get rid of intruders on your property, by what ever means, over here we cant unless it is really necessary, we are told to creep out of the house or barricade ourselves in a room until the intruder has gone rather than confront him.
But there is far too much unecessary gun crime. Is it worse over here than the USA I have not seen the stats. Is it better for all to be able to have a gun and just those who take advantage of the black market and use guns for the wrong reasons.
Do you think the laws in the USA will be changed?

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Personally I think it should be illegal for anyone - not just people with mental illnesses - anywhere to own a gun. But then, even though it is illegal in this country anyone who 'really' wanted a gun could get one.

bupanishad2012

bupanishad2012

Hi
In the UK there are strict laws on guns and owning them. People with MH issues would not even be considered to own a gun licence here.
observing from this side of the water I often wounder why it is a given right to own a gun in the USA.
Some laws you have I agree with, you should be able to get rid of intruders on your property, by what ever means, over here we cant unless it is really necessary, we are told to creep out of the house or barricade ourselves in a room until the intruder has gone rather than confront him.
But there is far too much unecessary gun crime. Is it worse over here than the USA I have not seen the stats. Is it better for all to be able to have a gun and just those who take advantage of the black market and use guns for the wrong reasons.
Do you think the laws in the USA will be changed?
No. Never. Please see my Posts and responses on this Buddhist Forum:

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?act=idx

J

jdohe

Time to do something about guns

I'm pleased and surprised to see some posts here about the dangers of guns. Personally, I don't think people should be able to own guns and I think police should keep them in their cars unless on a call involving violence. They should not be carrying them around while on routine patrols or off-duty. I know of cops that are afraid to go anywhere without their guns, including smuggling them into places like Disney World. Its kind of like Linus with his security blanket. Did you know that 25% of police fatalities are the result of criminals taking the guns off the officers and using them on that officer? This is not that surprising when you consider that criminals don't often carry loaded guns with them. They come in close contact with the guns in physical altercations with police who are attempting to subdue or arrrest them.

I am surprised that there are not more suicides with guns than there are, but there are still too many. I am aware that the constitution has the right to bear arms, but even with that provision, I think that if someone wants to own a gun it should be licensed like a car, and people should have to take an examination every 4 years to see if they are mentally and physically proficient enough to be considered fit to own a gun. Also, guns should require a registration fee for each gun to prevent a person from having their own arsenal sufficient to start their own mini-war. Furthermore, they should be required to have insurance on their weapons.

I don't think that mentally unstable people, alcoholics, drug abusers, ex-cons, or blind people have any business owning a gun.

While on the subject.. obviously some people would have guns that are not registered, licensed and insured. To lessen that problem, it should be required to show proof of registration, license, and insurance for the specific weapon that matches the type of ammunition being purchased. In other words, someone with a permit for a handgun should not be able to purchase ammunition for an ak-47.

Lastly, every gun sold should have a ballistics report and fingerprints of the owner on file. I would suggest that a gun owner should be partially liable for any crime committed by someone else with their gun - and in the case of death, the gun owner should be charged with manslaughter even if they had no direct involvement with the usage of the gun.

Oh.. and here's another idea.. for those who insist they need a gun for hunting.. those people should be required to maintain a hunting license. Of course most of the people who claim they have the guns for hunting are just using that as an excuse to possess the weapon. If they feel they need to possess deadly force, they surely can go to the trouble of being licensed for it.

OK.. one more comment.. I promise. Recently, there was an altercation between a professor Gates who is black and a police officer which made the national news. The issue became whether or not the police used excessive force based upon racial profiling. Apparently the officer involved actually trains other officers to be racially sensitive. The real issue is that police routinely abuse their powers - regardless of whether the suspect is black, white, or purple. I agree that the Gates altercation was not racial, however, the cop was still wrong and should have been punished for abusing his authority and falsely arresting professor Gates.