• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Guilt over parents being 35k in debt

N

Neuro

So my parents had been taking out credit card loans to help fund my expenses abroad where I ventured to take my landlord and some government national agencies to court, which resulted in my prolong stay in that foreign country because of a travel ban that was put on me and waited over a year before leaving the country. In the meantime i needed a place to stay, food and other expenses. When i got back and defeated as i did not win the lawsuit (it was dismissed), the amount of debt was 35k. My parents are 69 and 70 years old and their retirement has been postponed because of this weird adventure of mine. I feel so guilty that they have to work another year to help recooperate that money they helped me with. They could havebeen retired now and enjoying their relaxing days. They love me so much is why they helped my childish idea. And now i feel awful just plain awful as if I've chained them for another year of labor. I dont know if anyone can relate to this feeling of GUILT.

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

It may help to recognize guilt as a positive emotion. While you can't change the past, this feeling will guide you to be more understanding and compassionate towards them in future. Your feeling of "guilt" could, thus, potentially improve your relationship with your parents.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 11