• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

guilt for having mental health issues and not disclosing them

• Thread starter River of Circle
  • Start date
River of Circle

River of Circle

I have been clinically diagnosed with 3 mental health issues - Depression, General Anxiety Disorder, and Complex-PTSD. When I first sought treatment 14 years ago, my wife didn't really understand what was going on with me. At times, I was coming home from work and going to bed to sleep until time to get up the next day to go to work. I was isolating, even more so than my normally introverted self does. I was spiraling downward due to a trigger from my father, who was a physically abusive alcoholic when I was growing up.

I decided to finally seek counseling and start to deal with some of the multiple traumas of the past. No more running from them. As I was going through that, my wife told me that she was worried about what was happening to me, and what that meant for her, i.e., was I going to go crazy(er) and our marriage fall apart.

I felt guilty for putting her through my problems, and still do. I feel guilty for not telling her about my issues before we got married so that she could have decided whether she wanted to get involved with someone as broken as me. I feel I was deceptive, and that was not fair to her. I was embarrassed about my past, with my dysfunctional family. I didn't want her to think lesser of me as a man for having been sexually abused at 12 and 16. I wanted to shield her from my teenage drug use to cope. There was a lot that I didn't tell her beforehand, and I'm ashamed at my deception.

J

Jomp

Everybody lies. We all make ourselves out to be better than we are when we meet someone, because we're scared that maybe we're not enough as we are.

When you have the history you have then the issue is much greater, as you don't like yourself, let alone have the confidence that someone else will like you.

Sure, you should have told her, but you didn't; you can't change that.

She didn't walk out; she expressed a realistic concern and she did that because you cared enough about her to face up to an extremely difficult problem. You did that because you want the relationship to be honest and work.

This problem isn't you; it's something that happened to you. She has the right to decide, based on this new information, as to whether she wants to stay or go, but if she stays then it's a problem you will both face together. If she's worried that the marriage will fall apart, it means that she wants the marriage.

What she deserves now is for you to continue to work on it and be honest with her moving forward.

River of Circle

River of Circle

This problem isn't you; it's something that happened to you.
Thank you for your response, Jomp. The above sentence really spoke to me and is something that I need to try to remember often. I've added it to my signature to be a constant reminder to myself.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jajingna Shame and guilt Mental Health Experiences 23
lucynah Struggling with massive guilt Mental Health Experiences 9
K Regrets/Guilt Mental Health Experiences 6
Connorisnotokay A Life of Guilt Mental Health Experiences 13
T ...confrontation and guilt... Mental Health Experiences 13
A Dealing with immense guilt - coming clean about lying Mental Health Experiences 2
A Trying to process my guilt and anger at friend with depression... Mental Health Experiences 3
F Guilt has been eating me up Mental Health Experiences 3
S Anxiety and guilt Mental Health Experiences 1
L guilt and shame brought on by IRMA Mental Health Experiences 1
P Witnessing suffering, and guilt for feeling happy while others suffer Mental Health Experiences 4
C innapropriate emotional responses causing guilt Mental Health Experiences 3
R Guilt over sexual experience with pet Mental Health Experiences 11
A Guilt Mental Health Experiences 3
B Guilt over breakup Mental Health Experiences 2
G Guilt ridden Mental Health Experiences 5
DerFluch Guilt Mental Health Experiences 7
D Need help with OCD and guilt Mental Health Experiences 3
M I've been having nightmares almost every night. Mental Health Experiences 1
A Feeling of having no place? Mental Health Experiences 2
R How to overcome the feeling of "standing still" in life and the feelings of "having" to succeed Mental Health Experiences 10
Muddledmuggle Having difficulty in focusing on anything Mental Health Experiences 4
hORIzonFINK210 Having no explanation is fine Mental Health Experiences 1
T been having day long panic attacks Mental Health Experiences 5
P Having panic attacks at night Mental Health Experiences 5
gt86 Now having lucid dreams and not sleeping well Mental Health Experiences 6
stygianiron222 my girlfriend and i are sick of having to hide Mental Health Experiences 15
I Having trouble forgiving myself Mental Health Experiences 2
T Having trouble sitting down to work on bachelors thesis Mental Health Experiences 12
M I keep having thoughts about running away and going missing Mental Health Experiences 5
L Having intrusive thoughts again Mental Health Experiences 2
L Having a really hard time - Advice on getting over someone? Mental Health Experiences 15
B Is it weird to hate having a noisy job? Mental Health Experiences 7
elliepaige20 Having a really hard time - Heartbroken & devastated Mental Health Experiences 16
Storm in a Teacup Have you picked up any valuable life lessons through having a mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 23
D Having obsessive thoughts about having to leave psychotherapy Mental Health Experiences 3
J I keep having dreams that make me wake up distressed. Mental Health Experiences 4
R Having insight into your mental illness(es) Mental Health Experiences 3
N How'd you feel having a bf/gf while having depression? Mental Health Experiences 5
B Having to sell things you didn't want to Mental Health Experiences 3
F Having diabetes and depression Mental Health Experiences 1
Linda1989 Why do i keep having these homocidal thoughts? Mental Health Experiences 3
elliepaige20 Not having the best day... Mental Health Experiences 5
Z having to grovel Mental Health Experiences 13
S I'm having a violent mental breakdown AGAIN [please help!!] Mental Health Experiences 12
F My mom is having an innaprorate relationship with my ex husband Mental Health Experiences 2
elliepaige20 Having a hard time with acceptance - Any advice? Mental Health Experiences 0
S You know your having a bad day when ... Mental Health Experiences 2
U need help, having a really hard time right now Mental Health Experiences 3
K Having conversations in my head constantly Mental Health Experiences 3