Guilt and Shame, Comparing Myself to Others

F

fatelyn

It seems I can only be kind to others, and not myself.

I have struggled with issues related to depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. At twenty-six years old, I have a full-time job, but nothing in the way of a career... and I want to change that.

I have several younger siblings, nieces and nephews, who are growing up and seem to be on track with their activities and general lives. One sister in particular is athletic and social - two things I never was - and our mom posts about her accomplishments on Facebook regularly. While I love my sister and am proud of her, I also feel a twinge of jealousy toward her that makes me feel like I am a terrible person.

Overall, I feel like a lesser quality individual trying to get my life on a meaningful track compared to other people my age and younger.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
We all compare ourselves to others, don't feel guilty. I'm sure you've got your own accomplishments.
26 is still young, you'll find the right career.
I'm often jealous of my sister, siblings often are.
Take care

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hi fatelyn,

I think that one is causing the other. From what you've said, it sounds like you spend so much time and energy on what others are doing, that you neglect your own progress, causing you to fall further behind. Focus on what you're doing, because that's more important than watching any person getting on with their lives. <3

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M People 2