• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

[GUIDE] A guide to help cure your depression.

J

JC938

Hi, my name is Jinny and I'm 31 years old from Bangkok, Thailand. I'm Indian-Thai.

When I was 17 years old, I use to had depression and social anxiety. And depression kept coming a few times in all these years.

I have been interested in spirituality since I was young and I have learn many things from God's words in all these years and I want to share with you today about what I have learn from God. I'm writing this small advice because I want to help cure your depression.

What is depression? Depression is nothing but painful feelings in your mind. There are 3 kinds of feelings, pleasant, painful and neutral. As a human, if you watch your feelings (vedanna) in your heart, you will find that you either experience pleasant feeling, painful feeling or neutral feeling. Everything is impermanent and changes all the time, as Buddha taught about the 3 universal truth which are anicca (impermanence), dukkha (suffering) and anatta (not self). Everything is impermanence, everything changes all the time every second. You should live in the present moment, what ever is past, what ever mistakes you have done, is all gone, this moment now, you are a new person, and you can change, you are not entitled to suffer because you did wrong in the past. If you have learn from it and you won't do wrong again, it's all ok. If you know the story of angulimala, even he did many wrong, he killed many people, but after he change, all his past bad deeds are forgiven.

Today, you are depressed and feeling painful feeling, but please know that, it will pass, you will not suffer for the rest of your life, time will come when you again experience pleasant feeling and neutral feeling.

So, what you should do to change?

Buddha taught 4 noble truth and noble 8 fold path.

4 noble truth is -

1. Life is suffering, birth, sickness, disease and death is suffering.

2. Cause of suffering is craving (craving for sensual pleasures), and cause of craving is ignorance.

3. There is the way out of suffering.

4. That way is noble 8 fold path.

Ok, so first you need to understand that the reason you are suffering right now is because you committed sin in the past, you may have hurt others.

And if you want to change and be happy and peaceful, I want to advice you about sila 5 or sila 8. Sila means precepts, you keep it and never break it, and it will protect you where ever you go in the universe in what ever life. By observing these precepts, you become harmless, non ill will and you contribute to the happiness of others and in return you also receive happiness.

sila 5 are:
I refrain from killing living beings.
I refrain from stealing.
I refrain from sexual misconduct.
I refrain from lying, divisive speach, idle chatter, abusive language.
I refrain from drinking alcohol, using drugs.

Sila 5 is very good, but if you want to get well even faster and experience even more peace and happiness, I advice you sila 8.

sila 8 are:
I refrain from killing living beings.
I refrain from stealing.
I refrain from sexual misconduct (practicing celibacy)
I refrain from lying, divisive speach, idle chatter, abusive language.
I refrain from drinking alcohol, using drugs.
I refrain from eating after noon time.
I refrain from listening to music, singing, watching entertainment.
I refrain from sleeping on high bed.

So, Buddha taught this, you first keep precepts, by keeping precepts, you will be able to do meditation, by doing meditation, your mind will be purified from greed, hatred and delusion and you will be peaceful and happy. I also advice you this website where you can learn more about Buddha's teachings - accesstoinsight, you can google it.

So, in a nutshell, you keep the precepts, 5 or 8. You visit psychiatrist and take medicine, you don't lie to others or yourself. You put effort to keep your mind pure and have skillful thoughts (free from greed, hatred and delusion). You get some physical exercise also abit if you can, you wake up before sun rise, you take bath, you do prayers, you have faith in God and have patience, you keep doing good and know that, everything will change, nothing is permanent.

I hope this post help you and I wish you to get well soon.

2Much2Feel

JC938, thank you so much for taking the time to put this together. My first tattoo was of "dukkha". This line of thinking makes a lot of sense to me, and I need to work on it more, I do believe there is a lot of truth in it (Buddha was one smart guy). Thank you. I'll look into accestoinsight as well. Need to start studying this again, helped me immensely years ago. You're awesome.

J

JC938

JC938, thank you so much for taking the time to put this together. My first tattoo was of "dukkha". This line of thinking makes a lot of sense to me, and I need to work on it more, I do believe there is a lot of truth in it (Buddha was one smart guy). Thank you. I'll look into accestoinsight as well. Need to start studying this again, helped me immensely years ago. You're awesome.
I'm glad to know the post have help you.

Jam1990

Jam1990

This post really boosted my mood. Thank you.

jajingna

jajingna

I refrain from eating after noon time.
I refrain from listening to music, singing, watching entertainment.
I refrain from sleeping on high bed.
Sila 5 looks fine but these additional ones look silly.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

If all of what you say will cure depression, then why does one still need to see a psychiatrist and take meds? How do you define cure? Will this cure always work, even for severe, treatment-resistant depression? What about for other mental illnesses? Can these illnesses be cured as well? Can any physical illnesses be cured by your approach?

H

Huntergreen

You know what I’m not sure it would work for me but if it helps even one person it’s a good thing!

the practicing celibacy is where you lost me haha

J

JC938

Sila 5 looks fine but these additional ones look silly.
Well, if you have faith, you will not find it silly. You can also keep precept 5, no need to keep the other 3.

If all of what you say will cure depression, then why does one still need to see a psychiatrist and take meds? How do you define cure? Will this cure always work, even for severe, treatment-resistant depression? What about for other mental illnesses? Can these illnesses be cured as well? Can any physical illnesses be cured by your approach?
Just as if you eat healthy food like vegetables and fruits instead of junk food, and it makes you healthy and when you are healthy you don't have any disease, the same, keeping precepts will cure all your illness and suffering. Physical, aswell as mental sufferings.

You know what I’m not sure it would work for me but if it helps even one person it’s a good thing!

the practicing celibacy is where you lost me haha
It works for everyone. It will work for you.

C

cathanifrind174

Thank you for this. I do believe that spirituality can help although I think the exact form differs from person to person. I am an Indian living in France and my mum's really into Buddhism. I however found hope and joy in Catholicism. I think each one of has a different thing that attracts us but I believe having a transcendant good can be great. I love Gregorian chant, beautiful Christian art and the fellowship and community that the Church offers. I however really respect Buddhism.

I don't think you can compare psychotherapy and medication to spirituality. I think we need both. I am quite frustrated by those who think only one of the two will do. I think we need both. Spirituality can help us find meaning and a purpose to our life, which is so essential to waking up out of depression. On the flip side, it can be hard to even take the first step to research religion and spirituality, let alone practice it.

I am however convinced that we need beauty, joy, friendship and love to get through depression. I found it in the Catholic Church, if you found it in Buddhism, I am so happy for you. I do think religion partly explains why mental illness is less of an issue in deeply religious countries. However, I also think medicines and medical help is absolutely needed and religion is not a substitute.

J

JC938

Thank you for this. I do believe that spirituality can help although I think the exact form differs from person to person. I am an Indian living in France and my mum's really into Buddhism. I however found hope and joy in Catholicism. I think each one of has a different thing that attracts us but I believe having a transcendant good can be great. I love Gregorian chant, beautiful Christian art and the fellowship and community that the Church offers. I however really respect Buddhism.

I don't think you can compare psychotherapy and medication to spirituality. I think we need both. I am quite frustrated by those who think only one of the two will do. I think we need both. Spirituality can help us find meaning and a purpose to our life, which is so essential to waking up out of depression. On the flip side, it can be hard to even take the first step to research religion and spirituality, let alone practice it.

I am however convinced that we need beauty, joy, friendship and love to get through depression. I found it in the Catholic Church, if you found it in Buddhism, I am so happy for you. I do think religion partly explains why mental illness is less of an issue in deeply religious countries. However, I also think medicines and medical help is absolutely needed and religion is not a substitute.
Yes, I agree that we need both. I also believe that all religions is good. To be a good human being and be free from suffering.

Thanks. Also would like to bump this thread so it remain on 1st page.

J

JC938

I hope this thread helps you if you are going through suffering. I want to admit that I still have alot of negative thoughts and Im still suffering. Im trying to clean my mind so I dont suffer and I also would like to advice you to clean your mind and be free from negative thoughts because I believe it is the cure of all sufferings.