Growing old and euthanasia

M

Mastiff mom

I fear growing old as a mentally ill person. Also Ahlzheimers runs in my family. As an added bonus my relatives have lived to ripe old ages, not knowing who or where they were. Many meds become dangerous for elderly people and what then? This is a jolly post, I know, but by god if I haven't offed myself while still have the faculties to do it, someone please be as kind as you would to a cat and put me to sleep!

porkpie

porkpie

Cancer runs in my family and I'm really scared of getting it, I don't mean to cause offence but I'll take Alzheimer's over terminal cancer any day.

Grape

Grape

I have read somewhere that dementia is common in those with mental illness, whether that be the meds we take or just the illness. That scares me as i have no children to watch over my care when old. I also have cancer in my family so that is an added worry although if i get ill with that then i just do. Dementia is scary more so for me because i will be so vulnerable and alone. The care services aren't always good are they. I think we just have to take it as it comes.

A

act044

I'm thinking of signing a dnr incase I try to off myself again. This way they have no choice but to let me go. I think I struggle with dementia. I forget everything; conversations , things I've done, things I'm supposed to do, ect. I find it very annoying and embarrassing. I think both alzhiemers and cancer are a scary thought. I took a law class and euthanasia isn't legal in humans unless there are special circumstances. There is a debate about the humanity of putting someone to sleep. In these circumstances one usually can't speak coherently about what they want and in the position they may or may not be stable and thinking clearly. I would choose it. I've been struggling as long as I can remember and am tired of this already. I definitely get where you're coming from and wish there was something I could do to help .

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hate to be the grim reaper, everyone, you already have a terminal illness, it's called BIRTH, deal with it, its gonna get you at some time and the only reality, is, humans are born, then its just death, and in the interim there is a bit of survival, and maybe a movie or two...... that is it, there is no embellishment on that, OK? good, now maybe you can sleep. FFS. get with reality all!!!!!!!!!!

katss

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What? what did she just say??? .. what?

calypso

calypso

Admin
None of us can predict the future, and doing it will drive you even more insane. My mother was the youngest of four and waited all her life for her retirement to enjoy things. She died unexpectedly, at 52. I learned a lot from that. My husband died 18 months ago at age 56, and he was the youngest of 5. Neither therefore expected to be the first to die.

I learned to live in the now, as much as possible. Obviously, I can't keep that up all the time! I lose the plot and about 7 months ago was brought home and narrowly missed getting a Breach of the Peace thrown at me ( I was a tad high, and decided to shout at people - :whistle:).

I think the notion that mentally ill are more at risk isn't true. It came from the original name for schizophrenia, which was Dementia Praecox, a theory which is totally debunked now. Shame a few other notions like that aren't debunked too.

Unfortunately, all a DNR means is they won't resuscitate you, it doesn't mean they won't keep you alive in other ways - sorry to blow that one away. More and more is known about dementia and diet, lifestyle etc all add a lot to it. Also, there are many types, and many are avoidable eg by giving up smoking - which I need to listen to!! Also, the person with dementia might be perfectly happy, its the family who feel the loss more, after the early stages.

So, we can't predict it. I used to think I would like to know, but now I don't. What would I do with that knowledge? It might prevent me doing something, or make me do things I shouldn't. Who knows? Keep doing crosswords, eat healthy diets and get drunk occasionally for fun! Well that's the theory :LOL:

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Unless we die earlier of something - we all get old & die - some die quickly & easily - others have long drawn out illness. Suppose that is the way of life. i think lifetimes of psychiatric drug use does effect these areas & is well established.