• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

group therepy

ali

ali

Hi guys, i am about to go to my first group therepy as i have been released by my phyciatrist.... has any one else been to a group and what can i expect ????

cheers

ali

:)

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
I had one to one with a view of moving onto group therapy. I never did but I imagine its very cathartic.
Good luck.

jax

jax

I had many group therapy sessions in hospital in the USA when I lived there. It's a big thing in hospitals there. I actually liked it. I am quite am outgoing and chatty person. So i had no problems talking in a group. Of course it always takes a wee while to open up and trust the group. There was always someone irritating in the group or someone who talked too much. You have to learn to live with them. Or at least, until the get discharged lol.

I always found it interesting to hear others' take on the discussions. I studied Psychology and had several classes on group dynamics and I always loved to watch the dynamics in the groups I was in.

Good luck with your group and let us know how you get you.
Jacqui

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
I went to group therapy for a year. I thought it was great. I was really upset when it ended.
We just used to speak about life. I would maybe get frustrated at someones lack of moving on and it made me realise neither was I.
I warmed to some memers more than others. One downright irritated me. But that is reflective of life and that is the point of it.
I became a bit attached to the therapist though and moving on was really hard cos it was enforced due to funding.
I do have to say, eventhough I enjoyed it and I became attached etc etc....I don't think it actually helped any of us tomove on. Maybe that was to do with the therapiust...I am not sure. There was 5 of us and we were all stuck. Stuck in our probelms and I don't think it helped us to move on by going on and on about our issues.
On saying that too though.....it was great to have a place once a week where you could talk about alll the weeks crap. I used to be able to talk about my bleak bleak thought without recriminations. Saved my family hearing it I supose.
Happy

S

saffron

Hello
Ive never participated in one as such, but I think they are a good idea, forums like this a a kind of group therapy, but sitting face to face will definately be more benefit as you get the whole picture.
Good luck and hope you get something out of it,
S

ali

ali

hi guys

ok well most of you were right there was a really annoying lady that just wouldnt shut up, i mean it is GROUP therepy not just hers !!!!!!! she got asked whether she would like to discuss having one to one but she said it was farrr to indulgent to talk about oneself for a whole hour ..... WELL LOVE you just did it for TWO ........ sorry but it gets me really mad. :mad: Apart from that it was quite interesting how different people discribe there symptoms and their ways of coping.......... i sat pretty much in silence for the whole session ( couldnt get a word in edgeways even if i wanted to )... still quite apprehensive how this is going to help but we shall seeee

xxx

S

SKY

Are there such things as support groups or only group therapy that the psychiatrist sends you to?sorry to sound daft Im in the midst od being diagnosed im a little nervous and wonder what is going to happen to me.I also feel it would be nice to speak to some people that get it.I do know someone with it but he likes to deal with things in his own cbt way i need to respect that he feels he is a person not an illness so doesnt go to much into it.

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
there was a really annoying lady that just wouldnt shut up, i mean it is GROUP therepy not just hers !!!!!!! she got asked whether she would like to discuss having one to one but she said it was farrr to indulgent to talk about oneself for a whole hour ..... WELL LOVE you just did it for TWO ........
Oooh eck! That made me chuckle! Sorry, but I can just imagine it!

Hope the rest of the weeks is not like this.

Happy

keepsafe

keepsafe

:DHey all - I haven't had group therapy in fact the thought of it is terrifying!
I find in hard to speak to my psychologist - but it is amazing that she can point things out to me that I have never even thought about, so I don't think that talking about things ends up in wallowing in ones problems - I am suprised more than anything! I can see it is very easy to become dependent though, guess I'm new to talking though....
Like a baby

Still I can waffle on about nothing in particular quite easy - like I just have
:rolleyes:

KS

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jess96 Bipolar Forum 1