• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Group Talking Therapy

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I was reccomended for CBT by my CPN but the waiting list to get on the waiting list must be a bit long because since March I've been going to group therapy, just talking no CBT. Has anyone else found this type of therapy to be useless, or is it just me ? :unsure:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive been on group therapy . On the first cousre i didnt find it very helpful but I think that was because i didnt contribute anything. I was to embarrassed to open up. I was also amazed at what others were saying. The next one was slightly different. I started to give more input and got a lot back. I realised then that i was not the only one with problems. It didnt cure me but it helped in the respect that i know im not as 'mad 'as i once thought

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I just feel that I've got 43 years of bad/negative thinking patterns to unlearn, and it is good to know that others experience the same feelings and thoughts but I just don't seem to be any nearer to altering my thinking and emotional responses. I'm exhausted with being a guilt-ridden, non-confident, indecisive, depressed victim. One way or another I want out. :cry:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I know what you mean, Blackdog - I've been going to a short course on confidence building (ha!) at the day hospital and I really haven't found it terribly useful - perhaps because I've been pretty low again recently and it just seems rather pointless.

Is there any way you can push for individual therapy? - can your CPN do anything? I have tried reading books (too easy to focus on the negative and I just don't know how to change my thinking on my own) and now a form of group therapy, but I am starting to see a psychologist next week; although I was on the waiting list (since May), it was expedited by my CPN.

The way it seems to me is that each stage just (about) gets you through to the next. To begin with, I just saw my GP; then got 5 sessions of counselling through my OH's work; then saw psychiatrist and was assigned a CPN; now it's off to the psychologist. So far none of them have been particularly helpful (in that I still feel depressed) apart from giving me somewhere to offload enough to keep on going. Don't know if that makes any sense to you, but sounds to me like you really need to move to the next stage. That sounds kind of patronising but I don't mean it like that - I know you've been ill a lot longer than me; it's just frustrating that resources are so limited.

It does seem to depend on where you live, and I think I have been quite lucky here to have accessed services so quickly.

I am wittering now so will go now! Good luck Blackdog and take care - thinking of you.

Rollinat :hug:

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
It all makes perfect sense, rollinat, I'm low as well at present and I'm just fed up of not having the correct treatment because it's not available etc, basically I'm just fed up. Thank you for your good wishes, take care.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Supposed to go to my group this am and I really don't want to go.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Is there some one you can ring to talk through why you don't want to go? It always worries me that if I miss an appointment then I won't get offered further help.
I've got an appointment later today which I asked for but I feel better then I did when I asked so I don't feel like going. I think this is also part of the indecisiveness of depression.

If nothing else it will get you out of the house.
KP:hug:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
How would you feel if you didn't go? I guess I'm with KP, that if I don't turn up I worry I won't be offered further help, though I know that's over-reacting a bit. But if you've been going since March and yet to find it of any benefit, maybe it is time to say that it's not working for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Take care.

Rollinat :hug:

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I didn't go but I spoke to my CPN, she's still trying to find out why I got the group therapy instead of the recommended CBT. I'm trying to get in touch with the psychologist who takes the group and when I talk to him I will be as honest as I can. Don't feel well at all today. Thanks for your posts KP and Rollinat, it means a lot, take care.