• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Group Psychotherapy

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I started this NHS talking group about six weeks ago. There are seven of us in the group, we start at 10am and finish dead on 12.30, even if somebody is very distressed. Has anyone else had experience of this type of group and if so did you get any benefit from it ?:unsure:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I was asked did I want to go on a waiting list for something like this but couldn't face being in a group situation. I think maybe the time has to be right and it wasn't when I was asked and it hasn't been offered since.At that time I was refusing everything as couldn't see how it would help but that was part of the depression.
I'll be interested to know how you get on with it.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I think it is still early days. As you probably know, getting any help with a mental health problem is pretty hard and I'd just reached the point where I will do anything that gives any possibility of helping my depression. But I don't really like groups and find it quite difficult. I'll keep going but....I'm not sure about it.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I would guess others starting will feel the same,they'll probably set some ground rules as people will be feeling quite vulnerable. Hope it goes well.

D

Dollit

I think if all that you get out of a group situation is that you're not alone then that's okay. I don't like groups of any sort. People think that I'm very gregarious and outgoing but I'm not. Even in meetings when I'm really confident about my subject if I'm feeling below par I'll sit near the door and have a stand in ready in case I have to go out for a bit of a bubble.

What sort of talking do yo do? (Curiosity so don't answer if you don't want to)

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Basically, Dollit, we talk about how we feel and all the bad things that have happened and how we try to cope.

D

Dollit

Wouldn't appeal to me doing that in front of people - I'm not very good at it here.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I'm much like Dollit - I can't imagine that at all. But if it helps you blackdog that's great ; we are all different and individual.

Nick.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I don't think any of us in the group are that good at opening up in front of others, it does seem a bit of a strange idea in some ways, stick a group of depressed people in a room together and see what happens. But I'll keep going and see what happens.:)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi thered, ive attendended a few group therapy sessions. The first one i found very arduous and couldnt open up. I was also astounded at what some of the others owned up to. That session lasted for 6 weeks and i was just beginning to relax.

I was then sent to a different one and gradually i started to open up. I did find them helpful to me in the respect that i found out i wasnt as wierd as i thought i was. Some thought my experiences were bad but i also thought theirs were equally bad.

Its true the saying 'you get out what you put in' There not going to cure any problem but they can help you understand and come to terms with your illness, which in turn can help you to feel better:tea:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi blackdog,

I found group therapy very tedious and predictable.
I tried to approach it with a 'open mind' and to give it time,however I found that the meetings seemed more about the 'Therapist' rather than the therapy itself. :unsure:

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
yeah I felt the same at times.:unsure:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I spose it all depend on whos holding the session. Seems i must have been lucky. But there again we have a very good MH team where i live

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I'm still going to carry on going to the group, quite frankly I'll do anything that might help if only for the sake of my wife and kids. I'll try to keep an open mind.

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
I have been going to a psychotherapy group for 10 months. It is the one thing in a week that I feel helps me. We are not all the same, our problems differ, but we do all have mental health issues. I am extremely open about my present day experiences, what is going on for me 'now' but I could never open up to them about my past. My involvement in the group has been drawn into question as I was still going off the rails threatening suicide and stuff. I found that really really hard. If you can't be open about these things in a therapy group, then where can you?
One day my group is going to come to an end and I really dread that. I think I have become not only attached to the therapist (which I know is common!) but one of the other members too! I feel they would be a huge loss in my life.

Happyhappy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Talking Therapies 2