• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Group Homes, apartments and satellite homes

K

karenla14

I have many questions about group homes, apartments and satellite homes. If someone with experience or knowledge could answer them I will be very happy and grateful.

First- what is the process of getting into a group home or satellite home/apartment? What is the usual rent and where does one get funds for it?

Second- Is it true that like the shelters for the homeless group home authorities tell their inhabitants to leave their group homes in the morning and come back in the evening or tell them not to be home all day which would involve being out of the group home as mandatory for most of the day?

Third- what is the security in a group home? Can other violent individuals harm someone in a group home?

Fourth- How long can a person stay in a group home or satellite home?

Fifth- What changes to funding occur when one reaches 65 years of age and is eligible for old age pension? Old age pension is 500$. Is the rent for a group home affordable within that amount?

Thank you. If I have more questions I will post them later.

G

gabzgrl

I've never heard of a Satellite home. Is that a UK or US thing? I looked it up but am just as clueless.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Which province are you in? Different area's have different availability and requirements. I am semi rural Ontario can help if your in Ontario.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've lived in social housing which as the disability centre put it isn't officialy housing for the mentally ill but thats how it works out in practice, you need some issue ti get to the top of the housing list and the physically disabled tend to go into adapted housing

In some ways the freedom due to lack of supervision is good but it alllows neighbours to refuse treatment and cause havoc for the neighbours

I could go on about how the local kids get into loony bashing knowing they're getting a response, and undesirables are convinced your getting more than them and ponce off you

Then theres the police attitude that they're job is to protect people from the mentally ill not protect the mentally ill from people, the police aren't just institutionally racist they pick on all minority groups

Gajolene

Gajolene

We tried assisted living here for the boys, but our semi rural services lack considerably, the boys conditions worsened, and the accomodations were horrible and I was having a really hard time myself trying to maintain a flat on regular benefits. We found the best decision was to come back together as a family and share expenses. Our living accomodations are 100 times better than what they were, I arranged for rent, utilities to be paid direct so overspending into shelter expenses is impossible. It isn't a disability community just a house which took me three years to locate. We are all codependant of each other but still have our own spending money now and room enough not to crowd each other out. Was the best decision I could of made to find a stable, safe, location from which to establish a good support network with MH services and additional government help we need to survive. Stigma is still a problem, but I think it always will be to some extent realistically.