Gross thoughts

G

gocavsgo1975

Hi All

I'm Daniel and I'm a 27 year old male and am new to this forum. I have found it very helpful to read experiences from all of you and learn more about what i'm going through

I'm an OCD / Anxiety sufferer and over the past 3 months my OCD (Very obsessive leaning, minimal compulsions) has peaked to a new level. From what i've read this could be a result of long term stress which would make a lot of sense being that I work a very high stress job.

After being diagnosed with OCD recently it very much so explains a lot of what's been going on in my head on and off since i was a child. It does come and go in severity and sometimes isn't present at all. Throughout my childhood i experience intrusive thoughts, confessional OCD, guilt, etc and at the time it was very religion based since i grew up a Christian (no longer religious)

A few months ago I saw an image that would fall under the category of "Trypo-Phobia'. *PLEASE DO NOT GOOGLE THIS*

It's absolutely disgusting and i have had this phobia for years. It's the fear of little holes in skin, bizzarre clutters, etc. Please do yourself a favor and trust my word on it - it's gross :). No need to go look for yourself

Ever since seeing this image i have had major issues with getting gross images like these out of my head. I have good weeks and bad weeks and on the bad weeks it's almost as if my brain creates these images in my head to torture myself. It really bothers me and i'm hoping i can get advice from someone who may have dealt with something similar?

It gives me the feeling of shivers up my spine and makes my skin crawl. I literally have a physical reaction from the thoughts.

I just started 50 MG of Zoloft and I see a therapist once a week which undoubtedly helps.

Thanks in advance - hope to hear from someone!

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hello and welcome gocavsgo1975 yes indeed stress can do all kinds of things to your mental health

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I have intrusive thoughts about people being injured (blood and gore) and it makes my whole body cringe for lack of a better word.

Ever since I've been on anti-psychotics the feeling has become much weaker than it used to be, the images in my mind are a lot weaker too.

Perhaps a low dose may be beneficial to you.

T

Tomorrows a new day

it's mainly the fear hormone that drives these types of reactions, the fear hormone is there to help us in case of danger, but it can get out of control and go in to overdrive like a dog that won't stop barking. The trick is to don't focus on the thought, let it come into your mind and drift out again. It takes some practice, but once you've cracked it the fear response will die down

A

Acceptablecompany0

Hello, I think I can relate to this. I'm a 30 year old female and I also have OCD and anxiety and sometimes my OCD is fairly symptom free, however sometimes when I get really, really stressed or even for no reason, I get an intrusive image that also comes with a sensory experience, which I find really distressing.
For example- I'll suddenly get a violent image in my head(it's just sort of on it's own, I'm not doing it, or anyone else), and it comes with a pain like feeling that it's actually happening. This then causes me physical anxiety (tense muscles, headaches etc.).
I don't have the usual OCD thoughts that come with the above, such as worrying the violent thing is going to happen etc. I know it's not going to happen.

I've known about my OCD and anxiety for ages, and it's mostly manageable, except for this part. The intrusive thought part seems to be quite common with people, but I don't know if many people get physical sensations from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gocavsgo1975

I do think the low dose of Zoloft helps!

G

gocavsgo1975

it's mainly the fear hormone that drives these types of reactions, the fear hormone is there to help us in case of danger, but it can get out of control and go in to overdrive like a dog that won't stop barking. The trick is to don't focus on the thought, let it come into your mind and drift out again. It takes some practice, but once you've cracked it the fear response will die down
Great advice thank you!

G

gocavsgo1975

Hello, I think I can relate to this. I'm a 30 year old female and I also have OCD and anxiety and sometimes my OCD is fairly symptom free, however sometimes when I get really, really stressed or even for no reason, I get an intrusive image that also comes with a sensory experience, which I find really distressing.
For example- I'll suddenly get an violent image in my head (it's just sort of on it's own, I'm not doing it, or anyone else), and it comes with a pain like feeling that it's actually happening. This then causes me physical anxiety (tense muscles, headaches etc.).
I don't have the usual OCD thoughts that come with the above, such as worrying the violent thing is going to happen etc. I know it's not going to happen.

I've known about my OCD and anxiety for ages, and it's mostly manageable, except for this part. The intrusive thought part seems to be quite common with people, but I don't know if many people get physical sensations from it.
Definitely relate here. It's a crazy physical cringing reaction for me and it sends shivers up my spine. Hoping to get it under control. I will say the 50 MG of Zoloft has absolutely helped already

A

Acceptablecompany0

Definitely relate here. It's a crazy physical cringing reaction for me and it sends shivers up my spine. Hoping to get it under control. I will say the 50 MG of Zoloft has absolutely helped already
I'm glad the Zoloft has helped for you. Unfortunately I get side effects from antidepressants so they're not an option for me, I'm hoping to get this this under control without them. Beta blockers really help me with anxiety, I know I'd be a lot worse without them.