• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Grieving over loss of nephew

ghostgirl80

ghostgirl80

My 14 yr old nephew whom I was close to committed suicide in November & I can’t get him out of my head! I miss him so much! I don’t know how to stop crying over this? Thoughts of him play over & over in my head! I know he killed himself, but at the same time I can’t believe it if that makes sense? I’m so depressed over this! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I'm sorry that your nephew was suffering so much to make that decision. And I'm sorry you are left with coping with his decision. I have not experienced suicide close to me. I hope you can find some relief here.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

My 14 yr old nephew whom I was close to committed suicide in November & I can’t get him out of my head! I miss him so much! I don’t know how to stop crying over this? Thoughts of him play over & over in my head! I know he killed himself, but at the same time I can’t believe it if that makes sense? I’m so depressed over this! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'm very sorry to hear about your nephew, unfortunately teen suicide has become a big problem in the west in recent decades. Your grieving is perfectly normal, I wouldn't try and stop it until you feel ready. You may want to talk with a grief counselor or someone who has training in dealing with tragedies like this. Just talking out what you are feeling can be a big help. Above all, don't blame yourself for what you may have done or didn't do-there is no fault in this.

E

EclipticNight

I saw a 12 year old kill herself which changed my life. I never knew her but I grieved for about 9 months. Try to remember too that he would not want his pain to become yours. I found a quiet place in the woods and spoke to her and told her I had to let go but I would never forget her since she was so sure no one would remember her. Talk to him, let it out. Scream into a pillow, break something, beat the tar out of some worthless object. Whatever releases it.

C

charlieblack5

Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry for your loss. Yes a grief counsellor could be a good idea. It’s perfectly normal what you’re feeling.

2Much2Feel

Yes, so sorry for this. You do find some peace over time, but it definitely takes time. My friend did it 3 years ago, I still think of her every day, still talk to her every day. It's a process, and you don't ever really get over it, you just learn to cope with it. It breaks my heart that these kids are giving up like this, and I am so sorry.

A lot of people have been through this and know it is a different type of grief, that there are a mix of emotions. I feel guilt, love, pain, anger. A lot of anger. That's what suicide leaves behind, and it is always tragic, more so when it's someone so young. I'm really really sorry. Hugs to you. Hugs to all of the family. It's a tragedy, one that takes some time to get through (not really over).

F

Freesong

It does not make sense. Often people who take their life are not in a rational mind. They are working on raw emotions and may be in great pain or distress. Bullying can eat at a person until they silently seek a way out. The way we can help people like that is if they reach out for help, but not all do and we may not find out until everything is over. What a heart breaking situation.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I am sorry for the loss of your nephew, for what he was going through and for what you are going through. 💗