• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

grief councilling

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'ce been referred for councilling over my mother dying of coronavirus, from the organisations bumpf it seems they're students in training, remember years ago i had a counseller who asked if he could record the session, a friend said he's a student, i said to him this is doing you more good than it's doing me he said you and all your friends are all losers

i can't help resenting it and thinking if i had the money for a councilling course, i haven't it's usually nutters with money particularly as in the 3rd year you have to be in therapy yourself that costs a fortune

i came to london to do a degree i got in philosophy and psychology, at one point i was going to get direct payments and a support worker suggested i look in the internet for councillers in n london paid for by direct payments i found one of the students i went to uni with who was saying he had a degree in philosophy and psychology, well so have i, in the end direct payments application went to the parliamentary ombudsman who referred it back to the council were i saw a social worker who told me to find god that was the end of that

as i said if i had had the money for a councilling course something that leaves me embittered

as someone said you don't ask an apprentice plumber to do your plumbing, as i said it's helping them more than it does their clients, they should be paying us

B

bpd2020

I am sorry you cannot afford to pay for counselling. I do understand why you think people in training may not be as helpful. You may be lucky and find somebody with empathy who can be supportive. I think you are brave to try especially as you have had so many bad experiences in the past.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i wasn't talking about not been able to pay for councilling i was complaining of not having the money to pay for training to be a counciller myself

i know i'm now seen as ill i can also remember a time when i tried to get better, as one psychiatrist said with some level of sucess when i became a scrounger, and can't help thinking it'd have been different if i had had money

Z

Zoe1

I think you can do the peer support course
I dont think you have to pay for that
there should be one going on in your area

I was going to do it but I'm not well enough at the moment

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't think at the moment i'm well enough to do the peer support course, and even if i was, i just think it's the old hospital trustee system transferred to the community, one support worker when he heard the psychiatrist suggest work, he was on about how he was living in a one room flat on the edgeware road and after pating the rent got 50 a month more than me and "who wants to work for a measly 50 a month" he'd make comments about this training course been available at work

i'd feel more comfortable about trying if i didn't live in dread of the neighbour from hell been housed nearby and having to work after been kept awake all night, this is sally army housing assoc

and having tried work in the past in a social work office i agree with them the drugs stop the worst excesses of the illness but aren't cure

Z

Zoe1

n yeah I have similar reasons why I cant do it at the moment
one being I'm clobbered with a PIP review
and another being made responsible for my addict brother
when the whole family have abandoned him

plus noisy neighbours as you say
very thin walls here

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'm thinking of turning it down all it'll achieve is free training for some student counciller, won't do me much good

do i expect to get decent services having broken down at 19 i haven't exactly paid into the system to get something out guess i'm just a hungry mouth/useless eater

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't expect to get empathy from that counciller, the guy will be more concerned about completing his training and qualifieing as a counciller

Z

Zoe1

do i expect to get decent services having broken down at 19 i haven't exactly paid into the system to get something out guess i'm just a hungry mouth/useless eater
those are very negative thoughts about yourself Rambo
im also feeling like that at the moment because of the PIP review
all kinds of scrounger words in my head

ive not thought about whether ive paid into the system though
people help each other alot in mental health
which is contibuting something
and look you are a founder here !

JessisMe

JessisMe

People who experience mental health issues to a certain degree are not able to compete effectively in the global economy that employs us all. Period.
It is a disability just like any other disability. We wouldn’t question the disability status of a person with no legs would we? Then why allow others to question our own. I think the reason we start to think of ourselves as “scroungers” is because we are treated that way by other people who do not understand what it means to have this kind of disability and take their good health for granted.

I know how you feel with the student counselor situation. Maybe it would help to talk with anyone? I’m not sure if your situation. I do know, though, that a nearby hospital is affiliated with a university and their psych ward does use interns from there and other universities. Some are better than others but it never feels good to have professional work done by someone who is not yet credentialed, that’s for sure. xo, j

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
whats wrong with stereotypes it's in human nature to categorise and put things into boxes the problem comes when you exagerrate the importance of the box