• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Greetings

SlowJinks

SlowJinks

I have Bipolar, I'm medicated though I have the usual struggle of staying on top of taking them regularly but doing well of late. I have various other difficulties in life and it all becomes a mess of a tangled web, interwoven with each other and with the Bipolar to where I don't know where one begins and the other ends and where the line of 'normal' is.
Sharing my experience and reading those of others, helps me deal with my struggles and make sense of them and find some explanation for my behavior in certain contexts and peace of mind as to what is considered to be 'normal' and what I might need to work on/take notice of as a precursor to certain shifts in my thinking and physical state.
Talk therapy, obviously did not serve much of a purpose in addressing the mood disorder. In terms of therapy's such as CBT and the like, I had to abandon at one stage due to interference with work and then, as I ultimately lost the ability to work productively enough and to the demands of the business world, financially I was under too much strain so I do my best to find information all over. The understanding of the disorder is constantly evolving and every little nuance that the medical profession starts unraveling sheds a little more light on why I behave and feel the way that I do. Even if it's not perfectly explainable, it never the less gives a bit more hope.
My therapist once told me that I'm almost too intuitive at times and that she felt at the time that, even though it's not optimal and that I could benefit from further therapy, I'll be able to cope. There is a massive difference however, especially to a Bipolar, between knowing what needs to be done and executing it. Not even to mention all the other interfering factors that comes with the disorder.
So yeah, that is just a bit of a clarification as to what brought me here.

calypso

calypso

Admin
:welcome: to the forum. I too am diagnosed bipolar and understand that it can be a battle daily. I am balanced fairly well on meds now but its been a roller coaster ride getting to this point. I too had therapy and it helped immensely but its not a quick fix. They gave me techniques on how to help with the different stages I go through. How is therapy working out for you? Are you on meds?

SlowJinks

SlowJinks

Thanks @calypso and @Anime-Alchemy :)

My medication has been stable for some time now and both me and my psychiatrist agreed that it's sufficiently balanced. If I ever were to go back to work, which is very unlikely, I'd need an adjustment but for day to day purposes, it's sufficient.

The techniques I learned when I was still in therapy helps but, like everything else, it's not a perfect fix. There's still times where I struggle to keep my mind quiet. I can recognize my cycles most of the times but slip ups do happen and I do get bouts of fixation along with hyper-focus from time to time.

Thankfully, it's been a while since I have had a full-blown, what I call, 'crisis of rationality'.