• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Great Article

bpd2020

bpd2020

Thank you for sharing. I read it. I do not have PTSD but I can relate to many of the feelings.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Thank you for sharing. I read it. I do not have PTSD but I can relate to many of the feelings.
I think maybe by reading the article those without PTSD get a glimpse of what it's like to have it. We suffer like that fairly regularly even when there's no pandemic,no danger. It's an exhausting way to exist tbh

bpd2020

bpd2020

It does sound totally exhausting. It also taught me why people end up with abusive partners and struggle to leave them.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

It does sound totally exhausting. It also taught me why people end up with abusive partners and struggle to leave them.
Can you explain more? I didn't read anything like that in the article

bpd2020

bpd2020

After I was diagnosed, the symptom list I Googled read like a biography: the tendency to trust the wrong people, the dismal self-loathing, the unhealthy relationship with one’s abuser.

That bit sounded to me like a person would end up trusting an abusive partner as they trust the wrong people. Then afterwards they have an unhealthy relationship with the abusive partner. I then interpreted it as they would struggle to leave as they are used to that behaviour. I may have got it wrong though so I apologise if I have.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

No, you're right. Oddly,I didn't even catch that part of the article even though I have read it quite a few times. Thanks for pointing that out.

And I do agree that it's true. It's hard to know who to trust and who not to. Heck, it's even hard to know what's abuse and what isn't sometimes(often actually).

For me personally,after all the abuse I went through in childhood I tend to guage abuse and toxic people by comparison. Nothing has been worse than that(yet) so I minimize things.

Thanks again. It's food for thought.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I can totally understand that. I think children just think their life is the norm and then as an adult those type of people feel so familiar that it makes us feel 'safe'. I can see why you compare some abuse to others. It is like you said, you struggle with boundaries. You were never taught to have any.

You are welcome.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tawny Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2