• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Got offered a job but having second thoughts

P

Pink

I have not said yes, yet. I have to give an answer by Monday morning. I got offered a job as a peer support worker but I am not feeling so sure as I did anymore. I am quite shy (awkward with possible social anxiety) so on second thoughts, is this going to be for me? Visiting patients in their homes? Interacting with different people everyday? Is the stress going to get to me? I really wanted it but having second thoughts. I have bipolar and in October I had a psychotic episode. I don't want a job with stress that will bring that on.

Although I applied for the job nearby, there were several posts available in different localities and the one she is offering is too far. It will take me 1h 30m to get there.

Z

Zoe1

they do say you have to put your health first
otherwise you can't teach someone else to do so

P

Pink

I think I am going to have to be honest with myself now. I don't see myself doing this after having gone through the interview. It just doesn't feel like a fit for me. Plus, it seems quite stressful when I haven't recovered myself.

P

Pink

I feel terrible for even putting myself through the interview and wasting their time.

Z

Zoe1

have they given you any training Pink ?
I've just done a course on this which was really helpful

I don't think I can work right away with it
but might be able to do some volunteering

P

Pink

No Zoe. The training would have been provided if I take the job. But I’m not sure it’s something I can do having second thoughts on it. I really cannot take on the extra stress at this point. And I’ve only just come out of a psychotic episode.

P

Pink

But at least I can be happy I got offered it. Does really help my confidence. I’m gonna keep on looking. I’ll say no to this one on Monday.

C

CabbageMama

Call them on Monday, ask to speak to the Manager/Team Leader. Talk through your concerns about committing to the role with them and see what they will offer you in terms of support. Don’t forget that you will be in a unique role in that your lived experience of mental health issues is seen as a real positive. They are expecting you to be human. X

P

Pink

I have mentioned my social anxiety and they did say that they can offer support around that. But I’m just not happy with the locality offered because I wanted the one nearby. This is 1h 30m away. On top of that my gut is telling me I’m gonna be stressed out on this one. I will just take my time to decide but I feel I already know.

C

CabbageMama

If you decide that now is not the right time for you, ask them to contact you if further peer support roles become available. You might feel in a better position then. You could ask what reading/training etc you could do in the meantime to help you be better prepared, so ready.

C

CabbageMama

That is a really long journey. You could explain you are really keen, but that the travel is a big consideration over your own mental well-being, so would be keen to explore something closer to home if and when it becomes available? X

P

Pink

Yes maybe in the future. I will keep looking for something less stressful in the meantime. I’m happy I got it though. Does help me feel more confident in applying for other roles. :)

C

candycane

I have not said yes, yet. I have to give an answer by Monday morning. I got offered a job as a peer support worker but I am not feeling so sure as I did anymore. I am quite shy (awkward with possible social anxiety) so on second thoughts, is this going to be for me? Visiting patients in their homes? Interacting with different people everyday? Is the stress going to get to me? I really wanted it but having second thoughts. I have bipolar and in October I had a psychotic episode. I don't want a job with stress that will bring that on.

Although I applied for the job nearby, there were several posts available in different localities and the one she is offering is too far. It will take me 1h 30m to get there.
I would tell them thank you for the offer.
But I was looking for something close to home.
I hope this helps.