• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Got a reply from the BBC

BillFish

BillFish

Dear BillFish

Thanks for your e-mail regarding 'Casualty' broadcast on 6 February.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying. We know our correspondents appreciate a quick response and we regret you've had to wait on this occasion.

I'm sorry you were left very concerned by the use of terms such as 'nutter' and 'looney' on the programme. I note you found these wholly inappropriate and insensitive to people who may have mental health problems.

Whilst we never intentionally set out to offend any of our audience, we also strive to be true to our characters and to keep their language as authentic and relevant as possible. If we were to avoid using any terms which could have the possible potential to offend, we would be left with very little to choose from.

'Casualty' is a drama and our characters do sometimes express attitudes and opinions that are not politically correct; the fact that they do so does not mean that the BBC endorses those attitudes and opinions.

Nevertheless, we're grateful to you for letting us know that you found the terms in question unacceptable. In this respect please also be assured that your comments have been included in our audience log. This is circulated widely within the BBC and made available to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers. The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with the strength of your views.

Regards

Alec Mackenzie
BBC Complaints
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nice polite reply me thinks...........:p

M

mad as a hatter

bloody cowards that lot what kind excuse is that

Mosaic

Mosaic

lol ...its a standard response letter....not uncommon.
I second that.

it isn't suprising, not to upset you guys or anything but they just send that out just to keep people quiet. i understand that the complaint had a strong reason behind it and i agree with it but typical BBC as usual not giving a stuff about the matter at hand, i bet they will say something again no doubt

F

Frings

i dont find their excuse to be acceptable at all

you cant use slang terms to insult gays, blacks, the physically disabled etc.. but mentally ill people are fair game... that seems to be what they're saying

id boycott the license fee but would probably get sent down

Last edited: