• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Good News at last!

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Hi to all,

after months and months of nothing really good happening, though I keep battling on, I've finally got a break!

I was an aromatherapist for 17 years but lost my premises last year. Been a couple of offers but nothing concrete.

Then last week the Sister (Catholic nun) who runs the retreat where I do voluntary work agreed I could have one of the empty bedrooms as a treatment room! No rent, just give them £5 each time I do a treatment! It'll be emptied by Tuesday!

This means, with no pressure of overheads etc. I can do a couple of treatments a week and keep my hand in while earning a bit of money. I'm on Incapacity, so can earn up to £86 a week, which is 2-3 treatments!

This will really help me get "myself" back. Though I have to admit I am nervous. If I run into any old clients they are bound to ask me why I havnt been practising for two years..... cant lie, and saying the truth still brings tears.

Still, best foot forward, and with Sr. Catherine behind me let the devil try his best!

Best wishes to all in the group here. Its wonderful to have such a support network.

cloudberry

D

Dollit

Well done. Don't want to rain on your parade but the earnings figure you quote is a maximum for six months so be careful.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Cloudberry - great news! Well done. Sounds like a perfect solution for easing yourself back into things.

Dollit - is the £86 really for a full six months? If so that's incredible. I am seeing a work placement offices in the local resource centre and they are helping me to pursue some freelance training where one day would wipe out the £86.

D

Dollit

The entitlement is £86 per week (before any stoppages) for a maximum of 6 months and the work has to be approved by a GP or psych otherwise you are allowed to earn £20 per week no time limits. When I did the media thing with the Speakers Bureau we were actually given fixed fee expenses (plus travelling) as opposed to fees which meant they were exempt from declaration as we could get more than that in a morning. The DWP website will clarify details.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Ah, that makes sense - I was reading it the wrong way round, or had an attack of paranoia! The fixed expenses sounds interesting too. Thanks Dollit.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
(y) welldone cloudberry.
Wishing you all the best :flowers:

M

margarete1967

Founding Member
so happy for you, and I hope all goes well.
Sounds like your getting your lfe back and you deserve it. you have been through so much.
Good luck

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Thanks Dollitt and rules

Hi and thanks to all who posted with congratulations and well wishes. It is a great opportunity for me as a) its do-able financially and b) the room is within a Catholic retreat so is a great place for healing - mine and other peoples.

I checked out the govt website on the rules about working and it says:

"""You cannot usually work while you are getting Incapacity Benefit because of illness or disability.

However, you may be able to do some types of work - within limits. This is called 'Permitted Work' and it allows you to test your own capacity for doing some work and perhaps gain new skills. You must check with your local Jobcentre or Jobcentre Plus office before you start.
Permitted Work

Permitted Work is a benefit arrangement - employers do not offer 'permitted work'. You do not need approval from your doctor or have to have a medical test just because you are doing permitted work. However, if a medical test is due as part of your ongoing benefits-related review, it will go ahead as planned.

You can work:

* for earnings of up to and including £20.00 a week for an unlimited period, or
* for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to and including £88.50 a week for a 52 week period
* for less than 16 hours a week, on average, and earn up to and including £88.50 a week for as long as your illness or disability is considered sufficiently severe that you are treated as meeting the threshold of incapacity without undergoing a medical assessment"""""

I get re-assessed in March. The room is available for a six month trial period. I guess I've just got to give it a go. If I do 4 treatments a week its £100 so I could then afford to not be on the benefit. The only danger comes if I lose the benefit and then find I cant cope and have to re-apply.

What they do make clear is that it is between you and the Jobcentre about doing some work. NOT you and your doctor as was the case. Its fraught with difficulty I know, but I dont want to become a victim, and I want to engage with the world, and feel safe doing it from the safe haven of the centre.

I'll contact the jobcentre. I'll just do two treatments a week and see how I go. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Hope everyone on the forum is well today. Thank god we have a last got a bit of summer sunshine (y) oh boy it really helps!

cloudberry

D

Dollit

If you sign off and then find you can't cope as long as you sign back on within a certain time frame (that will be on the site) benefits are usually reinstated at the former level. It's a long time since I worked in this area so I'm rusty but I try to keep up.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I didnt realise you could earn that much whilst claiming incapacity. Any idea what they would class as 'permitted work'

D

Dollit

I have always understood that it's work that benefits you as a person as opposed to work that would detract. I would imagine if you googled it you would come up with something.

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Thankyou (again! - another subject). Fingers crossed anyway. I dont want to be cut off from things that inspire me, and having helped many over the years with my body work I do get soul satisfaction from it.

If you sign off and then find you can't cope as long as you sign back on within a certain time frame (that will be on the site) benefits are usually reinstated at the former level. It's a long time since I worked in this area so I'm rusty but I try to keep up.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
How's this going cloudberry ?