• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

good meds for mania?

M

markprosso538

I have been much more manic to a level that its starting to scare me, it doesn't usually last this long and am going days without sleep. I work from home, so no big deal now, but worry when I have to go back to the office in a couple of months. What are good medications for mania. I heard depikote is good, but causes weight gain and lamictal is good but more for depressive episodes than manic. I just want to take something that will calm me down but not zombify me or cause weight gain lol, does one exist?!

WhiteHydrangeas

WhiteHydrangeas

Lamictol is what I use. It has helped significantly.

The only drawback - and I believe this would apply to any bipolar medication - is that those highs of exhilaration you are used to won’t happen anymore. Instead of a high that peaks and then drops, you’ll have times where you don’t get exhilarated like you’re used to, but the high stays longer.

I guess this is what normal people feel like. After 55 years of undiagnosed and untreated mania, that does get a bit hard to get used to. I rarely get that butterfly of excitement anymore. But it’s better than the alternative.

In my case, the result of my four-month episode last year had me quitting my job, finding a new one 1,000 miles away, and moving where I knew no one by myself.

Yes, I’m married (30 years), and yes, I had a good job here. But that was a huge big red flag that something was terribly wrong...especially since there was no logic behind it.

Try whatever you can and see what works for you. Just remember to give it time. I didn’t notice a difference for about six weeks. Some take even longer. If you can just hold out though, I think you’ll be happy with the results.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have been on Lithium and Lamictal for about a year now. Was on Depakote and Lexapro before but I don’t think that Depakote ever really worked for me. I have not experienced side effects on any of these meds, though side effects for meds are unusual for me. Lithium is the standard med for controlling mania. I use Lamictal as a backup and also to lift depression which I find it works quite well for. I hope this helps. xo, j

M

markprosso538

Mania isn't always fun for me. They're not always "highs" in milder up swings yea it feels great, I get a lot done, like yesterday I cleaned the whole house, cleaned outside, wrote music, etc.. But when I get too manic it's freaking painful. My mind feels, idk out of control is the only way I could put it, I literally scream when no ones around, and can get real irritable and sometimes paranoid, especially after no sleep. I also barely eat anything either.

I had heard a lot of good things about lamictal, i know a person with borderline personality disorder who takes it and she loves it. I don't want to have no swings, just less severe swings. Ughh I hope he doesn't prescribe me lithium, I don't know, we'll see what he says when I go Wednesday.

A

Art78

Lamictal is definitely a good choice. I also think lithium works magic for mania. And it's fast acting. Lamictal is good for anxiety too.

B

Babytike

Cardevialol actually a heart medicine i think did help me..... I hope it still does. Does lamictal cause weight gain or hair loss? I still am not married and got nobody loving me yet really so i can't get fat or loss my hair yet😭💔 so far everyone has left me when mania hit and all that.