Good meds for anxiety and depression?

L

LouiseMN

I know it is different for everyone. But if you are doing ok, I'd be interested to hear what meds you are taking. I was initially diagnosed as bipolar depression so I feel my meds may be wrong for me? My previous p doc just kept adding meds, my new one has done nothing do so far.

So I take lamictal, seroquel, and Temazepan at night. I love Temazepan because I know what it does and it works - it helps me sleep, really helps! I'm the morning I take Ability and Cymbalta. All generics, thank heaven. The last one I tried was way too expensive, the name eludes me right now. I had to take it with 350 calories of food, annoying besides too exp.

L

LouiseMN

I know it is different for everyone. But if you are doing ok, I'd be interested to hear what meds you are taking. I was initially diagnosed as bipolar depression so I feel my meds may be wrong for me? My previous p doc just kept adding meds, my new one has done nothing do so far.

So I take lamictal, seroquel, and Temazepan at night. I love Temazepan because I know what it does and it works - it helps me sleep, really helps! I'm the morning I take Ability and Cymbalta. All generics, thank heaven. The last one I tried was way too expensive, the name eludes me right now. I had to take it with 350 calories of food, annoying besides too exp.
Fod this post before?

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

I’ve been on Escitalopram since November. It was my first time trying medication for my anxiety and depression. I am doing so well now I wish I’ve taken it sooner. It saved my life.

It was prescribed in 10 mg first but I was having relapse after a week. I had to adjust my dose and time of taking it. I am at 30mg taking it at 5pm ever day. No side effects except for sleepiness for the first 3 weeks.

megirl

megirl

Hi I started on venlafaxine which I not certain if it helped me that much,I'm still on it. Lamotrigine,my miracle drug,wiped out my depression and mood stabiliser,and quetiapine at night. Also on to drugs for my alcohol abuse.
We are all different of course, its always interesting what works for who.
I have bipolar&BPD

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

You can also ask your doctor for a DNA or genetic test for medication to get an approximation of what medications could be compatible with your body and also can tell which medication will cause allergy and side effects.

melonino

melonino

Hi, I've been taking Rivotril (Clonazepam) and Abilify at night for a couple of weeks now. It really seems to work, but I take a really small dosis, just to test how it goes for the moment. I can say I'm now actually able to sleep at night thanks to Rivotril and I definitely feel less anxious and awake at the mornings (Clonazepam is an antidepressant I think) on the other side, with Abilify the psychotic episodes seem to not go away neither do the compulsive behaviours, but they are getting better with time. Besides that, I feel super productive all day and happier over all, but I'm very shaky in the afternoon, I can't stop moving my legs for short periods of time and I talk way too fast (to the point that people notice).

L

LouiseMN

Hi I started on venlafaxine which I not certain if it helped me that much,I'm still on it. Lamotrigine,my miracle drug,wiped out my depression and mood stabiliser,and quetiapine at night. Also on to drugs for my alcohol abuse.
We are all different of course, its always interesting what works for who.
I have bipolar&BPD
Interesting. I was first diagnosed as having bipolar depression. I was also given Lamotrigine and quetiapine, also Lithium. Since I never get manic. my diagnosis was changed to mdd and lithium removed. Has anyone else taken meds for a mis-diagnosis and stayed on the same meds? My meds seem to have no impact any more. I'm thinking I should get off of lamotrigine and quetiapine if they are for BP disorder, not MDD. Maybe that will happen. I am doing well at the moment and I have a new psychiatrist.

P

Putford

I'm on Citalopram - 20mg, I have a few Amitriptolene tablets if I'm stressed and don't think I'll sleep, they work brilliantly but they can give me a bit of a headache in the morning, I've been told not to take them after 8pm because of feeling drowsy in the morning.

P

Pollypop

Hi there,
If you are doing ok at the moment I would be tempted to stay on
the drugs you are already on.
The same drug can be used for a variety of symptoms.
eg some antidepressants are also used for pain etc.

I’m glad you are feeling ok and hope it continues for you.
I would be interested to know what your new p doc does
if you want to share it and you don’t feel I’m being intrusive.

Best wishes, Pollypop

P

Pollypop

Hi Putford. I was on 40 mg citalapram and mirtazapine.
The citalopram were brilliant but when I became “old”
(60 I think) only 20 mg could be prescribed.
I did ask to go back to 40mg but the p doc refused.

This meant the dose was literally halved and ceased to help.
I have temazepam for every 3rd night 10mg. for sleep.
At one time I had one every night, so this has also affected me.

I see a new p doc soon so am waiting to see what happens.
I also feel another diagnosis has been missed.

L

LouiseMN

Hi there,
If you are doing ok at the moment I would be tempted to stay on
the drugs you are already on.
The same drug can be used for a variety of symptoms.
eg some antidepressants are also used for pain etc.

I’m glad you are feeling ok and hope it continues for you.
I would be interested to know what your new p doc does
if you want to share it and you don’t feel I’m being intrusive.

Best wishes, Pollypop
Thanks, I am doing ok right now since a Caribbean cruise. I was horribly depressed, didn't want to go, but it popped me right out of my depression. I have been home in MN (staying inside, cold and snow) since Feb 24th and I am still good! Remarkable. So I have a new psychiatrist, a new psychologist (first time on Monday) joined this forum and am reading a self help book about CBT. So mayb can avoid another one or maybe I'll get depressed again due to cabin fever.

Anyhow, I know, if I am ok just stay on the meds. I'd sure like to reduce down to just one or two! I'll let you know what she does, if anything. I see her next werk.

L

LouiseMN

Med head Latuda

megirl

megirl

To clarify exactly what does MDD mean. ?Major depressive disorder
You said about coming of lamotrigine, lamotrigine worked for me as an antidepressant. All the general antidepressants had zero effect on my depression. (Venlafaxine, slightly) I am on a high dose of lamotrigine for mood stability,but primarily lamotrigine worked on my depression at a low dose.
Quetiapine for me is used for sleep,and I do find if we reduce the dose it can effect my mood,as it also has antidepressant qualities.
Primarily quetiapine was used as an antipsychotic, however through it use, it was discovered that it also has other properties.
So I wouldn't be in a rush to come of yr meds,yourself

L

LouiseMN

To clarify exactly what does MDD mean. ?Major depressive disorder
You said about coming of lamotrigine, lamotrigine worked for me as an antidepressant. All the general antidepressants had zero effect on my depression. (Venlafaxine, slightly) I am on a high dose of lamotrigine for mood stability,but primarily lamotrigine worked on my depression at a low dose.
Quetiapine for me is used for sleep,and I do find if we reduce the dose it can effect my mood,as it also has antidepressant qualities.
Primarily quetiapine was used as an antipsychotic, however through it use, it was discovered that it also has other properties.
So I wouldn't be in a rush to come of yr meds,yourself
Thanks! I think those two 2 meds do help my depression. I agree, I will stay. Good to hear from others on this. How much lamotrigine do you take? I take 400 mg at night night, my doc wouldn't go any higher. I have to remember I was primarily being treated for bipolar depression. He did eventually remove the lithium. Now the only question is abilify. I will trust my new pdoc.

megirl

megirl

With quetiapine its antidepressant qualities do certainly work for me.
But like I say lamotrigine got rid of my depression,my miracle drug.
I think they started me on 150 x2 a day that worked for the depression,then we adjusted it up 250x2 a day,which then stabilised my mood, So if those drugs work for you I wouldn't stop them.
I am taking 900mg quetiapine at night

L

LouiseMN

With quetiapine its antidepressant qualities do certainly work for me.
But like I say lamotrigine got rid of my depression,my miracle drug.
I think they started me on 150 x2 a day that worked for the depression,then we adjusted it up 250x2 a day,which then stabilised my mood, So if those drugs work for you I wouldn't stop them.
I am taking 900mg quetiapine at night
Wow, 900 mg is a lot! I only take 100 mg, but I also take Temazepan for sleep. I like that one but I thought it was the only med I took for sleep. Guess I have 2.

L

LouiseMN

Wow, 900 mg is a lot! I only take 100 mg, but I also take Temazepan for sleep. I like that one but I thought it was the only med I took for sleep. Guess I have 2.
Thank you megirl! You help a lot of people here.

P

Pollypop

I agree WOW!! That is a lot. But if it’s working, keep it going.

I wish my GP would give me more temazzepam.
I only det 10 per month. 10mg every 3rd night.
I actually buy nytol or sleepeeze etc for the other nights.

Good luck all with your meds and recovery. Pollypop x

L

LouiseMN

I agree WOW!! That is a lot. But if it’s working, keep it going.

I wish my GP would give me more temazzepam.
I only det 10 per month. 10mg every 3rd night.
I actually buy nytol or sleepeeze etc for the other nights.

Good luck all with your meds and recovery. Pollypop x
I take 15 mg of Temazepam every night. I have a feeling this might be the one she will eventually remove.