• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Good evening

M

m72

Founding Member
I'm looking for some advice and pointing in the right direction. It's a long story but I will try and keep it short, basically my brother-in-law on sunday night took an overdose of tablets. He phoned his mum and brother to say goodbye and to could they tell his son that he loved him. Anyway, his brother eventually went round to the flat and called the police and ambulance. He's currently in hospital and is out of short term danger but doctors are concerned of the damage to his kidneys and liver.

My Brother in law has threatened over the years to harm himself but nothing this serious, he's got a serious drink problem but doesn't feel the need to see anyone.

What I really would like to know is where can we go from here, the doctors will evaluate him when he becomes medically stable (In a day or two). Can we or should we insist he gets sectioned under the Mental Health Act. My worry is that he will walk out of hospital and do it again, at the moment he hasn't got the energy to lift his head off the pillow let alone walk to any AA meetings.

He's a good bloke but seems to have alot of demons on his back and his circle of friends are all drinkers and recreational drug users I.e cocaine.

Many thanks for your time

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I hate being sectioned, but to be honest, if he's tried to top himself there should be no doubt that he should be kept for his own safety. If the authorities don't do this I'd be suprised. However once he's in he'll probably appreciate as much contact with the outside world as possible i.e. visits. It will be a perfect time for his family (i.e. extended) to show just how important he is to them. I hope your family manage to get over this situation and all move forward. :hug:

whoops nearly forgot :welcome:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi and welcome, sorry to hear about your brother. If he phoned im pretty certain he wanted to be found. My ex an alcoholic did something very similar. But he walked out of hospital the following day. Try and persuede him to stay and talk to the doctors about his stay.

Obviously i dont know how bad his drink problem is but if its been caught in time there is a lot they can do, and maybe if he has a month in hospital it might get him on the right track

D

Dollit

Hi m72, welcome to our forum. I'm sorry to hear about your brother in law and I think that it's important to help him but without making him feel as though his whole family is ganging up against him. You're unlikely to be able to section him with the booze as the main evidence - I begged people to section my ex husband and they wouldn't because alcohol was his major problem. Ask the hospital psychiatrist to talk to him whilst he's still in there - sometimes they wait until the patient is discharged but if you can get him in the system at least he'll be getting some sort of help. Keep in touch and let us know how we can help - we can't work miracles but we can give you support.:hug:

M

m72

Founding Member
Thanks for your replies, we really appreciate your help. Quick update; I visited him today on my own, he's in and out of sleep and feels rough but is talking a little bit. I didn't mention anything about what happened, I tried to keep it up beat.

We're awaiting blood tests to see if there's any damage to his liver & kidneys, then someone from mental health will visit him. I was told that if given the all clear he could be discharged without any permission or notice, I'm really worried that he will walk out and disappear.

Is it not possible to insisit that he can't leave, is getting him sectioned going to help or hinder? What I think he needs is constant care, maybe residential for a week or two so they can get to the bottom of this. Also, at the moment he doesn't have a fixed address (he was sharing with friends) can I get onto the council to get him somewhere?

Thanks

D

Dollit

I don't know what part of the country you're in which makes thing a bit vague right now. Council emergency accommodation is generally the sort of place you wouldn't want to send a vulnerable person to. The question with the hospital is not whether he is mentally competent or not but whether he is physically able to be discharged. Once he is physically well their obligation ends and they generally won't tie up a medical bed for a psychiatric patient. Unless your brother in law agrees you can't sit on his consultation with mental health and they can't tell you what was said. If you want to go into this deeper then pm me by all means. I'll help all I can but my usefulness may outrun itself. :tea:

M

m72

Founding Member
Many thanks. He's based in Harlow, Essex at the moment but also Epping, Essex.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: m72.
Hope you get some help and support for your brother in law soon.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
There is one positive about being sectioned if you are NFA. When it comes time for you to be released from section the law demands that you be rehoused. For me it was hotel, temporary 1 bed, studio, 1 bed flat. Now my family is bigger we have ended up with a 3 bedroom flat, but it all dates back to being released from section when I was NFA. Perhaps you could sell being sectioned to your Brother in Law on these grounds as well as being the best for him and his health?

M

m72

Founding Member
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post, this is a great website.
My BIL is out and getting better, he's under the watchful eye of the local crisis teams and has looked into housing etc. It's going to be a very long road for everyone but once again, thanks for your time.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post, this is a great website.
My BIL is out and getting better, he's under the watchful eye of the local crisis teams and has looked into housing etc. It's going to be a very long road for everyone but once again, thanks for your time.

I wish you the very best of luck.
Good news, thanks for keeping us up to date with the 'story'. Hope little steps become strides :)

D

Dollit

Thanks for letting us know M72 - hope things improve and you know where we are. :hug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Introduce Yourself 8
W Introduce Yourself 9
A Introduce Yourself 5
A Introduce Yourself 3
S Introduce Yourself 5