• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Good Alternative to Quitiapine ?

D

Dottyone

Hi everyone,

I have been taking 600mg of Quitiapine a day for a while now and in the spate of 3 months I have put on two stone in weight without actually eating any different than before, also its making me very Sleepy all the time.

Can anyone tell me if their is an alternative Anti Sike Medication I could ask to try that does not have these negative side effects?

This weight gain is getting me more depressed.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Haloperidol is weight neutral for me and Abilify is too. I am on both of them at the moment and have no problem with weight gain.I also don't find them sedating.

D

Dottyone

Haloperidol is weight neutral for me and Abilify is too. I am on both of them at the moment and have no problem with weight gain.I also don't find them sedating.

Thanks for your reply crawlspace, thats good to hear.

I read that Abilify was quite good regarding weight gain and sedation, I will ask my Psychiatrist if I can change meds.

I cant carry on putting weight on like this.

thanks for your help . :)

Gajolene

Gajolene

That depends on what symptoms your quatiapine is for Teddy. You'll get lots of responses but ultimately, your a unique individual and as we all know. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Definately something only you and your psychiatrist will have to work out together. That being said my JS switched too olanzapines and risperidol from quatiapines sucessfully. For episodal mania, bipolar mood swings and paraniod psychosis with his scitzoaffective. He still has some weight gain but not near as much. For him these meds are much better than the quatiapine was.

D

Dottyone

That depends on what symptoms your quatiapine is for Teddy. You'll get lots of responses but ultimately, your a unique individual and as we all know. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Definately something only you and your psychiatrist will have to work out together. That being said my JS switched too olanzapines and risperidol from quatiapines sucessfully. For episodal mania, bipolar mood swings and paraniod psychosis with his scitzoaffective. He still has some weight gain but not near as much. For him these meds are much better than the quatiapine was.
Thanks for your reply Gajolene, I can see what you are saying about us all being individual and responding to medication in different ways, I was just trying to do a little research before I see my Psychistrist.

Quitiapine does help reduce my Voices when I am stressed and it also helps me sleep, I have good results in that respect.

But like I say the side effects of weight gain and being a zombie are not something I will put up with.

Its good to hear JS is getting good results after switching from Quitiapine Gajolene :)

I guess I can only go with what my Psychiatrist will prescribe me, but stuff high dose Quitiapine.

thanks Gajolene speak soon.

Gajolene

Gajolene

On the quatiapine he was sleeping 12 to 14 hours a day and like you said felt like a zombie. He has normal emotions and sleeps regular hours now too. Still hears his voices but can ignore them now and hasn't gotten manic in over a year.Took him about 6 months to fully adjust to the change.
Good to see you back Teddy.

SarahD

SarahD

I have taken aripiprazole (abilify). It isn't sedating, I didn't gain weight on it, it is quite effective. But it did make my blood sugar go high - but there is a risk of that with all of them.

D

Dottyone

On the quatiapine he was sleeping 12 to 14 hours a day and like you said felt like a zombie. He has normal emotions and sleeps regular hours now too. Still hears his voices but can ignore them now and hasn't gotten manic in over a year.Took him about 6 months to fully adjust to the change.
Good to see you back Teddy.
Hey Gajolene, I can relate to that amount of sleeping on Quitiapine totally, thats awesome news JS has not been Manic for a Year or so now :)

I have taken aripiprazole (abilify). It isn't sedating, I didn't gain weight on it, it is quite effective. But it did make my blood sugar go high - but there is a risk of that with all of them.
thanks Sarah I am definitely going to ask my pdoc if I can try abilify, am glad itz working for you. :)

I feel cheeky asking my pdoc if I can try something else, I should not feel this way but I do, I think he is frustrated with me and hates seeing me.

Thanks so much for your help your all ace in my book.

G

Garry

I’m try to get changed over at the moment from quitiapine to Abilify. I was told I had to get a blood test first to check my basin blood levels and prolactin because apparently it can make you produce milk even if you’re a man. I’m not to sure if they are trying to stoll or what but Abilify is a very expensive drug so I’m finding hard to get prescribed. I’ve been on olanzapine which worked well and in the high risk category of weight gain now I’m on quitiapine which moderate risk of weight gain but I’m still gaining weight and feel like sleeping all the time same as you guys. I’ve got my appointment this Friday so fingers crossed. Let me know how you get on with Abilify👍

G

Garry

I’m try to get changed over at the moment from quitiapine to Abilify. I was told I had to get a blood test first to check my basin blood levels and prolactin because apparently it can make you produce milk even if you’re a man. I’m not to sure if they are trying to stoll or what but Abilify is a very expensive drug so I’m finding hard to get prescribed. I’ve been on olanzapine which worked well and in the high risk category of weight gain now I’m on quitiapine which moderate risk of weight gain but I’m still gaining weight and feel like sleeping all the time same as you guys. I’ve got my appointment this Friday so fingers crossed. Let me know how you get on with Abilify👍
Sorry that should be baseline bloods