Going to try a yoga class..

PurpleLily

PurpleLily

It's part of my gym membership and I've never done a yoga class before, so here I go in 15 mins to try my first ever yoga class.

I'm hoping it'll give me some tools to relax when i'm feeling anxious. I must admit that would be now, as I'm as nervous as I would be going to a job interview. I hate going into new environments and the unknown. I've never done a class of any sort at this gym as I've been using my membership for powerlifting only so far.

Fingers x'd I come happy and relaxed. And don't fall over which is my worst fear.

chainsofdaisies

chainsofdaisies

Yoga is amazing , it's so relaxing :) hope you enjoy it :)

PurpleLily

PurpleLily

Thanks both. :) I was SO nervous it was untrue but the room is amazing and very Zen, so that relaxed me straight away. The ladies were all friendly and the instructor had an amazing voice to go with the Class, really rich making the chanting very genuine.
I really did enjoy it, and DO feel totally relaxed. My head was a bit like a pressure cooker even up to the relaxation at the end, but coming out it's as light as a feather and I could feel it relax in there so that was amazing. :)

Really thrilled, and will be a great use of my membership too which would be wasting away otherwise. Classes are with other instructors too but the one today does a tuesday and thursday morning. I'll go along to the others too as Uni will invade on these times at the end of September. At least I can keep going then. :)

T

Taff

Hey there
That sounds great, hope you feel proud of yourself for getting there and it sounds really positive. Hope you can keep it up.
Love
Taff xx:peace:

C

clouds

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi PurpleLily
I'm so glad you posted this and you enjoyed the yoga because it sounds very encouraging and something I've been thinking about trying for a while :) x

PurpleLily

PurpleLily

Hi PurpleLily
I'm so glad you posted this and you enjoyed the yoga because it sounds very encouraging and something I've been thinking about trying for a while :) x
Ooh definitely go along! Honestly it was amazing, I had this knot in my forehead not sure when it formed but it was there, and it went. All day I've been watching for it, and it hasn't :) I've had a walk on the beach with my girls this afternoon even when I felt I was too tired to be bothered it was lovely and I'm sure it's the yoga that turned my day into a success.

If you can't get along to a class have a look at you tube. I found a programme on there which looked good. I haven't done it but will share it in case it helps.

But remember, there WILL be things you can't do but let them go and do your best, you'll get them eventually. There was one move where were were on hands and knees with feet flat out so on 'top' of our feet if that makes sense.. they pushed back and locked their knee's so straight legged.. no way was I ready for that I'm sure my feet would have broken. But I'm sure with time I'll get more confident etc. I was glad also we didn't have to stand up for anything one legged as I have really bad balance.

But.. the positives were HUGE and if you enjoy it it's something you can do from home. :)

Good luck and let me know how you get on - either on the board or by PM always happy to talk. :hug1:

C

clouds

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thankyou so much, I'm glad you had a lovely walk on the beach with your girls too, it's true (I think) how stress, anxiety and other MH illnesses and/or physical ailments? can be so exhausting and effect each other, finding ways to properly relax, bring things to be more balanced? and feel better as a whole even if for a short time is one of the best things xx

PurpleLily

PurpleLily

Thankyou so much, I'm glad you had a lovely walk on the beach with your girls too, it's true (I think) how stress, anxiety and other MH illnesses and/or physical ailments? can be so exhausting and effect each other, finding ways to properly relax, bring things to be more balanced? and feel better as a whole even if for a short time is one of the best things xx
Thanks, and yes I do think you're right. I do think even on my lowest days I could go along to this and really reap the rewards. It felt so different to a normal exercise class, but I still had a bit of a sweat on and could feel the stretch into deep muscles. My back is a little stiff this afternoon so clearly used it well! ;)

Is it far to your local classes? hope you can fit one in soon. Would be lovely to have someone to talk to who is learning too. :)

C

clouds

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That's great that you could along to classes or even benefit from doing yoga at home too, hope your back eases up soon:) It's not possible for me to go to classes but will definitely start trying to learn at home and it will be nice to talk xx

PurpleLily

PurpleLily

That's great that you could along to classes or even benefit from doing yoga at home too, hope your back eases up soon:) It's not possible for me to go to classes but will definitely start trying to learn at home and it will be nice to talk xx
Great idea for home study of it, I'm sure there will be a lot of beginner vids on you tube, and shorter than the one I posted. :) remember if it looks too challenging do what you can or just wait for the next move. There really is no pressure.

I would say to put a towel down or a mat of some sort so you're knees hold out ok. and there are little blocks you can put under your bum to sit on, so you could use a hard back book or a rolled towel maybe at home? just an idea to make it more comfy. I didn't have a block today but will have to have a look for one as can see the benefits.

S

slipstream

Fantastic purplelily, i'm really glad you managed your first session. I have been promising myself to get to a class this year but i'm not strong enough yet.
However i do practice at home, picked up a mat at Argos for about 9 quid and use - erkart yoga - on youtube.
It does make me feel a bit better afterwards.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Hey I hope the yoga is working out well for you ^_^

A

Alexa08

I love to try yoga too. I have friends who engaged in yoga class and they want me to join them. At first I am not convinced but from what I hear from the good feedback of my frends I like to try it too. They say it is very relaxing and calming too. I want to experience that and I will join them next week!

Kerome

Kerome

How did it go? My father swears by yoga, he goes for sessions of an hour and a half about every other day (ostensibly because he wants to get real value for his one-month membership card, he says, which always makes me laugh, he's being "yogic" but under the hood he is Scrooge).