• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Going to the doctor did not calm my health anxiety

Amelia2020

Amelia2020

So I have this pain in my hip for two weeks and I was stressing out over what it could be. I went to the doctor today and took blood tests and nothing was found. He said I have a muscle sprain. I was given Ibuprofen. Which does help. I was calm for a few hours and now mind is going crazy because all the doctor did is talk to me and feel my hip. I want X-Rays, proof that this is just a muscle sprain and not something else, much deadlier than what the doctor said. Going to the doctor did rule out certain illnesses so I am a bit calmer. But I still am thinking about other sicknesses. Should I listen to my head and force myself to the hospital to conduct more tests (to calm my mind) or should I listen to the part of me saying "it is just a muscle sprain, relax". I want to just be calm. What would you do?

babyblue22

babyblue22

My ligament in my hip didn’t go back to where it should of after birth. Caused me horrible pain, the pain medication is only a mask. I went to get more tests and got some physio which fixed it.
I suggest going and getting more tests. Best case you find out your ok and you can put your anxiety to rest for good about this issue xx

Darwin the fish

Darwin the fish

I have been to the GP so many times for so many things, had tests and scans, being offered medication but never really found conclusive answers for anything.. each time I would just give up and try to trust the GP's opinion and eventually most of the time the issues went away on their own.

I also have been having on and off hip pain recently, which I'd assumed was due to working from home, horrible posture and lack of exercise for a year of being in lockdown.. the GP said it's probably sciatic and recommended stretching exercises. To be honest, I've barely done them but I have been walking a lot and the hip pain has started to subside again..

This probably doesn't really help, but I guess I am suggesting that perhaps you could just try to believe what the doctor has told you and see whether it starts to improve. If it doesn't after you have done what he suggests, then go back and ask for further tests.

P

Purpleplum

If you went to a primary care doctor, they don't do anything....pretty much useless. If you want real answers about that kind of pain, I would suggest going to an orthopedic doctor.

Oh, and If you are on any mental health drugs, some doctors will assume the pain is all in your head.

Schwarzen

Schwarzen

It sounds likely that you may be suffering from hypochondria/health anxiety.

In that case, going to a million doctors is not going to help because you fear is irrational or at least the degree of it is.

You could have every known medical test done every single week, your mind would still find a way to be anxious, possibly telling you somehow the real issue was missed.

Amelia2020

Amelia2020

So I have this pain in my hip for two weeks and I was stressing out over what it could be. I went to the doctor today and took blood tests and nothing was found. He said I have a muscle sprain. I was given Ibuprofen. Which does help. I was calm for a few hours and now mind is going crazy because all the doctor did is talk to me and feel my hip. I want X-Rays, proof that this is just a muscle sprain and not something else, much deadlier than what the doctor said. Going to the doctor did rule out certain illnesses so I am a bit calmer. But I still am thinking about other sicknesses. Should I listen to my head and force myself to the hospital to conduct more tests (to calm my mind) or should I listen to the part of me saying "it is just a muscle sprain, relax". I want to just be calm. What would you do?
So the ibuprofen given to me was 500 mg. It was making me mentally sick (think more) and tired, so I stopped taking it last night. When I posted this thread, I was taking ibuprofen and I felt like I was thinking even more. I felt mentally sick. I still feel drowsy from them. I spent the morning googling how these pills can affect your body. I stopped, thankfully. I can't take this anymore.

babyblue22

babyblue22

So the ibuprofen given to me was 500 mg. It was making me mentally sick (think more) and tired, so I stopped taking it last night. When I posted this thread, I was taking ibuprofen and I felt like I was thinking even more. I felt mentally sick. I still feel drowsy from them. I spent the morning googling how these pills can affect your body. I stopped, thankfully. I can't take this anymore.
It’s strange how drugs can affect the body. And it’s ok to be anxious about your health because it means you care.
It’s hard sometimes finding a doctor that cares as much as you want but I found that the phrase healthy mind, healthy body is true. Stretching, meditation etc can all help your mind and your body xx

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Ibuprofen reduces swelling. I agree that it's a good idea to stop taking it if it's interfering with your mental health. It interacts with some psychiatric meds if you take any of those, especially citalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine and sertraline.