• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

going to mental hospital

F

flower rose

Hi everyone,

It is my first post. I am in very severe depression. I am not from UK, but I live here now. I have a therapist and psychiatrist from my home country who I contact online. My therapist and psychiatrist are saying that I should submit myself to mental hospital because of my state and suicidal thoughts.

I would like to ask if anyone of you ever submitted herself/himself voluntarily to mental hospital/ psychiatrist ward? Is it easy to get submitted? I have read that I should contact community mental health services close to me. Is it enough?
I would be grateful for any answers regarding your experience or any tips.

flower rose

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and :welcome: to the forum. I think its difficult to just get admitted on your own say so. Usually you have to get onto the CMHT (community mental health team) to assess you. Going though a GP is the only way to get to them - he has to refer you. I would see your GP and tell him what your psychiatrist has said in your own country and see if he will do this for you.

albagobragh

albagobragh

Hi @flower rose,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your depression, and I hope yo get the help you need.

The first time I was admitted to a psychiatric ward it was as a voluntary patient. I was acting oddly according to my wife who initially phoned NHS 24/7 on 111, and to cut a long story short, I was admitted.

NHS 24/7 deal with mental health issues as well as general medical issues, so you could phone them to explain your difficulties and ask for admission.

I've heard of people just turning up and being admitted but I'm not sure about that.

albagobragh

albagobragh

Just to add something which relates to what @calypso said, I'd seen my GP a few times prior to that and had been prescribed some medication by him.

2UnicOrn7

2UnicOrn7

Hi everyone,

It is my first post. I am in very severe depression. I am not from UK, but I live here now. I have a therapist and psychiatrist from my home country who I contact online. My therapist and psychiatrist are saying that I should submit myself to mental hospital because of my state and suicidal thoughts.

I would like to ask if anyone of you ever submitted herself/himself voluntarily to mental hospital/ psychiatrist ward? Is it easy to get submitted? I have read that I should contact community mental health services close to me. Is it enough?
I would be grateful for any answers regarding your experience or any tips.

flower rose
Hi flower rose,

This is my first post too!

I am really sorry to hear that you are really struggling but well done for taking the first steps towards getting help. My partner and I both suffer with mental health issues and she has recently been an inpatient in a psychiatric hospital. It was a voluntary admission but it was highly recommended by numerous mental health professionals. Her stay was difficult of course, it is not the same as the outside world. However, she described it as a break away from life (in a sense) because you are able to reflect/work on yourself without any ''outside world'' drama.

At this particular hospital, she was very well looked after, with professionals always there to help with anything, structured meal times and planned activities. It was helpful to her also to discuss with other patients and learn from them too and understand you are not alone. Of course everybody's experiences are different and all psychiatric hospitals are different. But her experience of it was a good one and she now has tools to help guide her better than before and has a different outlook on life.

Prior to the hospital admission my partner had contacted her GP, was on medication and also had counselling. So there are a number of options you can try before any admissions.

You should contact community mental health services close to you and stress the severity of your mental health and take it from there. From my own experience, you just need to be really honest with YOURSELF first about how you are feeling and also open up and allow others to support you. And if ever you feel you cannot keep yourself safe, tell someone and ring 999.

I hope this helps in some way and I hope you get the help you need and feel better soon :)

2Much2Feel

Welcome to the forum, @flower rose, and very sorry to hear you are feeling like this. Yes, I've been in the hospital a few times, but I'm in the US so likely not too helpful. I do wish you the best of luck and yeah, if you're feeling this bad, it can be really useful in getting you through and safe. That's about all mine did for me, make me safe during the worst times. The hospitals themselves do little else here. Terrible, broken system. But I hope you can at least get safety while you need it. Sometimes we do just need it. Do you have family with you to help you out?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hi flower rose,

This is my first post too!

I am really sorry to hear that you are really struggling but well done for taking the first steps towards getting help. My partner and I both suffer with mental health issues and she has recently been an inpatient in a psychiatric hospital. It was a voluntary admission but it was highly recommended by numerous mental health professionals. Her stay was difficult of course, it is not the same as the outside world. However, she described it as a break away from life (in a sense) because you are able to reflect/work on yourself without any ''outside world'' drama.

At this particular hospital, she was very well looked after, with professionals always there to help with anything, structured meal times and planned activities. It was helpful to her also to discuss with other patients and learn from them too and understand you are not alone. Of course everybody's experiences are different and all psychiatric hospitals are different. But her experience of it was a good one and she now has tools to help guide her better than before and has a different outlook on life.

Prior to the hospital admission my partner had contacted her GP, was on medication and also had counselling. So there are a number of options you can try before any admissions.

You should contact community mental health services close to you and stress the severity of your mental health and take it from there. From my own experience, you just need to be really honest with YOURSELF first about how you are feeling and also open up and allow others to support you. And if ever you feel you cannot keep yourself safe, tell someone and ring 999.

I hope this helps in some way and I hope you get the help you need and feel better soon :)
Welcome to the forum

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi flowerrose
Welcome to the forum
Glad you are seeking help.

Z

Zoe1

hi flowerrose :welcome:

the crisis team I think will decide if they need you to go to hospital
or if they can treat you by visiting you at home

keep in touch here to let us know how it is going

:hug:

2UnicOrn7

2UnicOrn7

Yeah, if you attend A&E in crisis then you will have a gatekeeping assessment which will decide the right options for you and an admission or not.

Let us know how you get on x

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

flower rose i just hope they dont do what they did in 2012 when i went for helps to A&E - told me to go home and said i was wasting their time ........

miss_sensitivity

miss_sensitivity

flower rose i just hope they dont do what they did in 2012 when i went for helps to A&E - told me to go home and said i was wasting their time ........
😡 wtf... that's disgusting and so disappointing. Is that a common response to mental health in the UK? I went to the A&E one time when I was suicidal while living in Australia and I felt embarrassed but didn't know what to do. I was fortunate enough that they were respectful and I got to see the mental health team and was admitted. I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I don't know what you did straight after they said that but I'm glad you're still around today!

Flower rose... the last time I felt like I needed serious intervention with my mental health I went through my GP who organised things for me then and there (this is in New Zealand) so I don't know what it's like over there. But I want to wish you all the best and am happy to read of you being proactive and honest about where you're at :hug: I hope it all goes okay x

M

Mistral

Contact your therapist or psychiatrist from your home country and ask them if they can recommend a therapist/psychiatrist in the UK. I am surprised that they have not done this already.