Going on holiday - I am not looking forward to it

E

Edith

I am going abroad to Milan with my sister in a couple of weeks time. for a 5 day break. It sounds great, but I am a nervous wreck. I don't have a good sense of direction and I worry about getting lost. I only speak a little tourist Italian. I am nearly 67 and have slowed down a lot. My sister is 10 years younger but to be honest, is quite a selfish person and is hell bent on having a good time. Has anyone any advice for me? Sorry if this sounds pathetic.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
What I would suggest is invest in a street map and a phrase book and keep them in your bag. Mark on it where your hotel is .
When I was having therapy for travel anxiety the therapist said when your getting scared about being lost , put yourself in the other persons place and think how you would advise them to take control of the situation. And it does work

L

Lunar Lady

If you google your hotel in Milan, you can find out about nearby landmarks and places of interest, so you can get some sense of what district you are in beforehand. Maybe jot down some street names and look at a map.

I would write down the hotel phone number and keep it in my purse - there will almost certainly be English-speaking reception staff who could direct you back to the hotel if you panicked.

I'm sure, once you get there, you'll be fine. Just pre-holiday nerves :hug:

E

Edith

What I would suggest is invest in a street map and a phrase book and keep them in your bag. Mark on it where your hotel is .
When I was having therapy for travel anxiety the therapist said when your getting scared about being lost , put yourself in the other persons place and think how you would advise them to take control of the situation. And it does work
Thank you so much for taking this seriously. Your suggestions are really helpful. I am used to going on holliday with my husband who has a great sense of direction and does not worry about anything. It's quite daunting being the Big Sister and being relied on. I have done all the bookings, paperwork, that doesn't bother me, it's the actual thing itself! The doctor has given me a small amount of Diazepam for the airport, flights, which really worry me too. But I won't be taking this on the actual stay in Milan.

E

Edith

If you google your hotel in Milan, you can find out about nearby landmarks and places of interest, so you can get some sense of what district you are in beforehand. Maybe jot down some street names and look at a map.

I would write down the hotel phone number and keep it in my purse - there will almost certainly be English-speaking reception staff who could direct you back to the hotel if you panicked.

I'm sure, once you get there, you'll be fine. Just pre-holiday nerves :hug:
Yes, I'll get the hotel number and google the hotel. I will feel a lot better if I know, if all else fails, I can get back to the hotel! Many thanks for taking the trouble to help.

L

Lunar Lady

Yes, I'll get the hotel number and google the hotel. I will feel a lot better if I know, if all else fails, I can get back to the hotel! Many thanks for taking the trouble to help.
No trouble at all. I hope you have a wonderful holiday xx

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi Edith just a bit of advice which you probably know all ready but if you take a diazepam remember not to have a drink at the airport. Have a good holiday.

E

Edith

Hi Edith just a bit of advice which you probably know all ready but if you take a diazepam remember not to have a drink at the airport. Have a good holiday.
Always worth remembering, thank you.

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi Edith

Do you have a smart phone? If so, I'd recommend downloading the google maps app. You can use it for walking directions to your hotel or to any destination you ask it to direct you to. A really useful feature is that if you ever go off the route, it will always self correct and find the quickest route back.

It would be worth getting to know the app by using it locally.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

isn't the point of going away to be enjoyable? if you don't want to go don't. Express your concerns and feelings see what the response is.

E

Edith

Hi Edith

Do you have a smart phone? If so, I'd recommend downloading the google maps app. You can use it for walking directions to your hotel or to any destination you ask it to direct you to. A really useful feature is that if you ever go off the route, it will always self correct and find the quickest route back.

It would be worth getting to know the app by using it locally.
Yes I do have a smartphone. I only got one a few weeks ago and still finding my way around it. But I think your idea is great. My daughter is excellent at these things and I'll ask for her assistance. I would never have thought of that. Thank you.

E

Edith

isn't the point of going away to be enjoyable? if you don't want to go don't. Express your concerns and feelings see what the response is.
I really don't want to let my sister down. She is single and has her own problems. She needs a holiday and won't get one unless I go with her. She can also be great fun. But I will tell her I'm nervous. She can be really nice once she stops thinking about herself! But I will take on board maybe steering her in the direction of a holiday I'm more comfortable with next time. Thank you.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

I really don't want to let my sister down. She is single and has her own problems. She needs a holiday and won't get one unless I go with her. She can also be great fun. But I will tell her I'm nervous. She can be really nice once she stops thinking about herself! But I will take on board maybe steering her in the direction of a holiday I'm more comfortable with next time. Thank you.
sounds like a good idea just dont let people walk over you if your sister is dominating you and you are going because how it will make her feel that sounds like some emotional blackmail to me