• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Going into ESA Assessment alone.

J

JPG2502

I have a medical tomorrow morning (Thurs) so hoping someone sees this soon!
I am being dropped off by my sister on her way to work, is it really such a bad idea going in alone?
I have had one esa medical before and went alone and have also had a PIP medical and went alone and both times I passed and got to keep ESA and claim PIP.
But on here I read alot of stuff about going alone being an automatic fail?
Basically I'm scared shitless now as I have quite a few things to worry about at the moment and just want the ESA thing out of the way without worrying.
To be honest my previous experiences with the medical ''professionals'' have not been that bad and not anywhere near as bad as some of the internet horror stories. But still as with mental health it plays on your mind constantly. Did I just get lucky before?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
I'm glad you've had good experiences before, welcome to the forum.
Try not to worry, if you don't have anyone to take you don't have a choice but to go alone.
Hope it goes okay for you.
Take care and good luck.

S

Stormcloud

I went for mine yesterday and I am not sure how it went. After reading comments on here I have a feeling that I will fail. I took my husband with me and he did some of the talking as he has seen me first hand when I have had mental breakdowns. I think if you can then take someone with you. x

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

I went for mine yesterday and I am not sure how it went. After reading comments on here I have a feeling that I will fail. I took my husband with me and he did some of the talking as he has seen me first hand when I have had mental breakdowns. I think if you can then take someone with you. x
i think you will be fine ,i thought mine went awful but my cpn assured me it will be okay
love lu x

M

Mr lonely

Honeyflower, ya will probably be ok.... Saying that I think it's hit and miss for all, I have been twice before and had understanding nurses . This time the bloke made reference to the length of time I had been ill ... Who knows ?

Last edited:
Square Pearl

Square Pearl

Nobody knows the answer or the right thing to do. Just go in and get it over with. Your information is on the form. This appointment I read on here is 1/3 of the process only. It is not in your hands, the decision is not yours, just put your case forwards and let them do the rest.

M

Mr lonely

Hi JPG2502 hope the assessment went well for you today, don't let em get you down .

J

JPG2502

I went this morning, it was probably the worst yet, I had to wait half an hour in a crowded waiting room!! I ended up getting overwhelmed and being sick in the toilet which is basically right in the waiting room, so embaressing!!
The lady who did the assessment came across nice and understand and also very apologetic for being late, though I have read on here and other places that the assessors always seem nice then stab you in the back?

The assessment itself was over very quickly! She seemed to ask very few questions, she banged away on the keyboard for most of it, then sent me on my way telling me not to worry.

No idea what to expect now.

Also to add, have they stopped asking questions about 'suicidal thoughts'? They asked me at my last ESA assessment a couple of years ago and my PIP, but not this one. i wonder if it had been taken out of the questions?

Square Pearl

Square Pearl

I have heard that suicidal thoughts are not a reason to not work now but a reason to work :mad: but all of these bits of info or gossip imho should be ignored. It is best not to think too much about any of this and try to get on with the life you have, I think. That is how I am dealing with it. It is the only way I will survive this life. Ignorance. So many people don't come on a forum and read about it. They just complete the form, go to the interview and wait for the letter. In the meantime, they try to have a life. Easy to say and difficult to do but otherwise life will be all about interviews won't it. I don't want that for myself.

Congratulations for getting through it. I could have died during my last as I took too many T (don't know if I can say) for anxiety and my heart was beating very slowly. It was not an overdose but I could not cope with the anxiety leading up to it or the day. I wonder how many people die before or after it. I am sure the centres have to call an ambulance or more every day.

Even many psychs don't ask about suicidal thoughts ime. They would have to take action if you said yes not that I ever would or have.

Sleep.

E

english rose

I am way too unassertive to deal with these manipulative people, if I have to go to another one then I will not go alone - I have been stitched up 3 times now.

J

JPG2502

I got put into the Support Group, which is now one less thing to worry about thankfully.

Though I am wondering, I know on the 'WRAG' component, the money went down by about £30 a week i think? But only for NEW claims. So if I have got this right, if I was put in the WRAG again this time I would still have been getting around £102, a week.
But does anyone know what the case would be, just for arguments sake, that in one year I get reassessed again and they put me back in the WRAG, would the money then drop to the £70 a week or would it just drop back to what I was on before at £102 a week? (seeing as its not a fresh claim).
Hope that makes sense!

E

english rose

I got put into the Support Group, which is now one less thing to worry about thankfully.

Though I am wondering, I know on the 'WRAG' component, the money went down by about £30 a week i think? But only for NEW claims. So if I have got this right, if I was put in the WRAG again this time I would still have been getting around £102, a week.
But does anyone know what the case would be, just for arguments sake, that in one year I get reassessed again and they put me back in the WRAG, would the money then drop to the £70 a week or would it just drop back to what I was on before at £102 a week? (seeing as its not a fresh claim).
Hope that makes sense!
AFAIK you'd get £102pw in the WRAG.