Going ... Anywhere?

H

Homebody

I'm in the US. This is the best forum I've found thus far. I have private health insurance, but my insurer - Does. NOT. Do. Mental Health. Not beyond 2-3 visits, anyway. I can't afford to change insurers.

So, my world is shrinking. I don't mind driving, and I sort of like flying ... BUT:

- Getting myself out of the house in the first place = PROBLEM. "Solved" by staying home most of the time.

- Airport security = HUGE PROBLEM. I get very nervous, and am afraid I'll catch negative attention from Security because I appear nervous, even guilty. "Solved" by never flying, or even venturing into the secured area of any airport. Weirdly, I can pick people up and drop them off there. Getting out of the house is difficult, but if travelers are depending on me, I can force myself.

- Travel outside of California, by any means = NOPE.

Finances and logistics are a challenge ... probably can't travel, anyway ... but I hate being controlled by fear.

G

Girl interupted

Look into group sessions. They are typically cheaper, give you feedback from people experiencein the same thing, and won’t break the bank. I’m in sessions that run $60 each session. I see it as an investment in myself.

I realize you have phobias, but once you find a good group, there is immense comfort in solidarity.

H

Homebody

Yes, I do have social anxiety as well (of course), but I can and do cope with groups that are gathered for a common purpose. It's only when it comes to small talk and stranger-mingling that I'm totally at sea.

Not sure I can do $60 - $100 per session, though. Going rates are higher here for, like, everything. Maybe I can scramble something together. But then, I wouldn't be able to afford to go anywhere, anyway.

Can a phobia sometimes be a good thing? That seems so wrong.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Phobia Forum 1