• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Godly enlightenment vs buddhist enlightenment?

chesterking

chesterking

>On May 10, 2015, at 3:07 PM, ChesterKing wrote:

I belong to the Sikh faith.
My father says most of our ten Gurus were enlightened. I told him, how is this possible, they believed in God. I told my father that meditation has stopped me believing in God because it starts to hurt my head. Are there two types of enlightenment, Godly enlightenment and meditation enlightenment?

[HR][/HR]

I am answering your question via e-mail because I do not want to contradict
you or embarrass you in a public forum. Regarding your statements that
enlightenment cannot occur for one who believes in God, or that there are
two types of enlightenment, based on whether one believes in a God or not,
both are completely wrong.

Enlightenment is a state of consciousness which completely transcends belief.
However, when one does attain an enlightened state, he or she will inevitably
have an awareness of a larger consciousness which exists beyond ourselves -
beyond our illusion of being separate individuals disconnected from the whole.
What he or she calls this greater consciousness does not matter in the least.

As I have said or implied before, the pain you feel when you think of God is
being caused by your outworn concept of God - not the reality of God.

Light & peace, Jim

G

Golden

I believe all religions are looking to the one God. There is often a higher power but it has different names. We all believe in being good people. I wouldn't worry about specifics. I stick to my specific religion but this is how I have been brought up.

Enlightenment and God though, there is a clash there. Search the internet. Keep reading.

Kerome

Kerome

I think Jim is not so far off the truth. Osho often talked about God as well, and his teachings were very much about enlightenment through meditation. But his God was not the God of the Abrahamic religions, an all-powerful creator deity. His God was much more the all-pervasive Brahman Atman as referenced in the Upanishads, or the inner God of the Mystics or Sufis. A God in that sense very much fits with meditation and enlightenment.

If meditation hurts your head you might be going down a wrong path though, have you considered maybe trying some other forms of meditation like metta? These things can help transform you as well.

G

Golden

I look at an image of Jesus in my mind or a bright light. I say prayers in my head. That is how I fall asleep too. It works for my busy mind.