Gluten-free diet. A possible cure for Tourette syndrome?

S

Susy60

Hi.

An open access study has just been published that shows the improvement in a group of patients during a year with a gluten-free diet.

What has impressed me most is the video attached to the study of the improvement of a child.

This is the title of the study:
"Efficacy of a Gluten-Free Diet in the Gilles de la Tourette Syndrome: A Pilot Study."

The PubMed identifier is this:
PMID: 29735930

By clicking on the doi you can read the full text.

See the conclusions:
"In conclusion, we have shown that following a GFD opens up a new line of therapy for patients with GTS. It is entirely innocuous but requires a strict and prolonged adherence. It seems to be useful for reducing the frequency and intensity of motor and vocal/phonic tics, and OCD symptoms. It is also accompanied by an improved quality of life, both generally and specifically, and a reduction in the consumption of NSAID drugs by children and of antipsychotics by adults."

S

Susy60

I have reread the whole study again. The participants only eliminated the gluten and improved.

Also, we must keep in mind that in the gluten-free diet, wheat flours are substituted mainly with corn flour.

It is very interesting to read the discussion. For years it has been known that gluten affects the brain in some people and is unrelated to GMO.

"People with NCGS -non celiac gluten sensitivity- usually exhibit a variety of associated symptoms such as headaches or migraines, “brain fog”, fatigue, fibromyalgia, joint and muscle pain, leg or arm numbness, tingling of the extremities, dermatitis (eczema or skin rash), allergies, atopic disorders, depression, anxiety, anaemia, iron-deficiency anaemia, folate deficiency, asthma, rhinitis, eating disorders, or autoimmune diseases. Among the extra-intestinal manifestations, NCGS has been implicated in some neuropsychiatric disorders, such as schizophrenia, autism, peripheral neuropathy, ataxia, ADHD, mood swings, sensory symptoms, disturbed sleep patterns, and hallucinations (“gluten psychosis”) [9,16,30,31,32,33,34,35]."

J

Jojo1

Hi Susy
I do not have celiac disease, but I do find that when I avoid eating gluten I get less gastrointestinal issues and I feel better. For me, foods that are high in fiber like oats and bran are good alternatives.