• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Globus hystericus?

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Does anyone have experience of this condition? I have been struggling with depression for the past few months, combined with anxiety. When it all started (looking back) I had had various colds etc for a while, but was left with the sensation of not being able to swallow properly. Once I had accepted the diagnosis of depression I haven't mentioned it to anyone medical, but I chanced upon some information about GH recently and it does seem to fit. I am seeing a psych tomorrow so will ask but just thought I'd see if anyone here knows anything about it. I wouldn't say it's bothering me particularly - it's a bit annoying, nothing worse - but probably does indicate that anxiety is also a pretty big part in my life (I am very good at hiding my feelings which doesn't help I'm sure).

Thanks for any insight anyone out there has.

Rollinat

connect

connect

Admin
Hi there, I hope your psych was able to shed some light on the matter :). There is also some more information here: http://homepage.mac.com/changcy/globus.htm which says it may be due to the cricopharyngeal muscle (heheh, had to copy and paste that one :p) constricting during times of stress, for example when you're trying to hold back tears. I've noticed that myself in the past, so I believe the information on that page is true.

If that's the case for you, making sure that you can express your emotions freely (or even set aside a few "crying sessions" for each day) may help a lot :).

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Thanks connect. I asked the psych today but tbh he wasn't very helpful about that, though he was about other things. He said to mention it to my GP so I will try and remember to do that the next time I see him. Maybe they have to rule out physical causes first but I don't think there is anything actually wrong as it hasn't got any worse over the last few months. Not very good at crying apart from occasional outbursts so maybe that would help. Thanks again.

Rollinat